Antifoul paint

Rev David

Featured Posts

Hello,

please could someone advise me on how much paint i would need: I have a 26ft Burland GPR Cruiser and need to repaint the Hull with International Cruiser 250 Blue antifoul paint. A 3l tin reckons it will cover 9m2. I've never done this before so i am unsure - Any advice is greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance. 

21 minutes ago, Rev David said:

Hello,

please could someone advise me on how much paint i would need: I have a 26ft Burland GPR Cruiser and need to repaint the Hull with International Cruiser 250 Blue antifoul paint. A 3l tin reckons it will cover 9m2. I've never done this before so i am unsure - Any advice is greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance. 

Measure the waterline length. = X metres

Measure from the waterline down to the keel = Y metres

So X times Y  will give your the square metres for one side.

Multiply your answer by 2 and that is the total square metres

Now do the same for the stern / transom and add that to the total previously calculated

That should give you a result 'slightly on the high side'. Inevitably you will an amount not equal to a number of tins so you will have too much.

Don't forget you need an antifoul primer, and, probably 2 coats of top coat antifoul

Grey undercoat and black x 2 topcoats

image.jpeg.b219dabe312ad62e233525396c2b0847.jpeg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

That will be 9m2 per litre.

At the weekend I applied a coat of antifoul with the same coverage rate  to my 33ft boat and  2.5L was just sufficient.

So you can be confident that 3 litres will be sufficient.

image.png.5919616313ce2a769e837357f77c3043.png--

• Greenie 1

18 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

I didn’t think antifoul was necessary on a canal boat?
Friends  had a wooden cruiser boat for years and just painted standard spirit based gloss paint on every third year with usual prep. 

Steel narrowboats commonly use bituminous blacking which is toxic to the aquatic environment so in theory should act as a form of antifouling.

But  bituminous paint on a GRP hull is not appropriate.

Bituminous paint on a narrowboat hull is easy to touch up . Narrowboats tend not to use fenders eg when going through locks so the side s get scraped  while GRP boats do use fenders  and boating is much less of a contact sport  for the vast majority of GRP boats.

An epoxy coating could be used on both steel and GRP hulls but antifouling paint below the waterline  is commonly used on GRP. Epoxy paint alone has no antifouling properties apart from being a smooth surface that may be cleaned.

Really a GRP hull should be epoxy painted below the water line  when new to create a surface that is less permeable than the polyester gel coat but this seem rarely to be done in practice.