Fuel leak coming from throttle lever BMC 1.5

Keates

Featured Posts

Hello

After another fix, I've just located a steady drip of fuel seemingly coming from the screw for my throttle lever on my BMC 1.5.

I can't seem to find any useful information on tips to maybe replace the washer on the screw or if it is something further along into the governor housing.

Has anyone had this issue before and if so, got any tips?

Thanks!

9 minutes ago, Keates said:

Hello

After another fix, I've just located a steady drip of fuel seemingly coming from the screw for my throttle lever on my BMC 1.5.

I can't seem to find any useful information on tips to maybe replace the washer on the screw or if it is something further along into the governor housing.

Has anyone had this issue before and if so, got any tips?

Thanks!

I think that you mean the dual-purpose screw that both holds the pump "turret" on and the lever spindle into the housing. I seem to recall they have a soft copper washer under the head, but there is an O ring around the spindle that can leak. I can't remember which side of the screw it is, so if it is on the liquid side of the screw, then the O ring may have failed, but it would also leak from the spindle.

If the throttle stop screw stops the lever moving before the cable stop, the that can force the spindle to one side, causing a leak.

If the spindle is worn and sloppy and leaking past the O ring it is probably time that the pump was overhauled by a diesel service company or exchanged for a reconditioned one. Calcutt will exchange the unit.

If the spindle is still serviceable then a new O ring may cure the leak. There are youtubes showing overhaul and the CAV manual is on line.

When I had this problem on my BMC 1.5 and a friend's BMC it was the O rings. They are fairly easy to change and this is the thread that helped me.

Thanks all! First poster, no I mean exactly the throttle lever, the bolt seems to hold this and a couple of plates to the throttle shaft. I will take this out and have a look for an o ring :)

Super helpful thanks for the swift replies! 

1 hour ago, Keates said:

Thanks all! First poster, no I mean exactly the throttle lever, the bolt seems to hold this and a couple of plates to the throttle shaft. I will take this out and have a look for an o ring :)

Super helpful thanks for the swift replies! 

No, don't do that because you do not need to.

Remove the throttle cable.

Undo the vertical screw that may have a small hexagon or male star head but do not move the turret head, the screw on the stop lever side should hold it.

Pull the lever and spindle assembly out of the turret head but take careful note of the position before pulling it out, so you can reinsert it correctly.

I can't remember if you need to move the stop lever when you reinsert the throttle spindle, but I think not. The flat on the end of the spindle has to slide into the governor valve assembly.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

No, don't do that because you do not need to.

Remove the throttle cable.

Undo the vertical screw that may have a small hexagon or male star head but do not move the turret head, the screw on the stop lever side should hold it.

Pull the lever and spindle assembly out of the turret head but take careful note of the position before pulling it out, so you can reinsert it correctly.

I can't remember if you need to move the stop lever when you reinsert the throttle spindle, but I think not. The flat on the end of the spindle has to slide into the governor valve assembly.

Hey Tony,

So attached is a photo of my injection pump and throttle (purple arrow shows where my throttle lever was, just removed it).

You can see there is a load of putty all over the star bolt (green arrow) by a previous owner which is concerning, I hope it was just a lazy fix and not something more serious.

What I'm wondering is if I need to remove the (red arrow) housing over the maximum speed stop screw to undo the rest of the throttle stuff to get to the o ring inside or if I do indeed, need to undo the green arrow bolt?

Thanks again!

IMG-20240105-WA0030.jpg

Edited by Keates