Boulters lock Maidenhead date not known

magnetman

Featured Posts

I found this on a farcebook group and thought it was quite nice as it shows how well organised people were with the provision of suitable steam launches and small craft.

I'm guessing Edwardian era. 

A nice reminder of summer. 359825928_10160824511894441_6670008670575305399_n.thumb.jpg.51f8180081ed44ec18fdd51122f2bfb2.jpg

I particularly like the steam launches. It seems a wise move to have such craft. 

I see the persons in the large house have two. One with a suitable cabin presumably ideal for entertaining ladies and the other without cabin. 

Very nice. 

It was so busy they also had an electric boat escalator part of the way up the weir stream. 

This 

maidenhead-boulters-lock-the-elevator-19

Some parts still remain as an EA patrol boat base. Not functional but historically interesting. 

I go through the Cliveden reach regularly on the launch. Nice place its amazing to think how busy it was once. 

it must have been pretty cool to remain seated in the skiff and be conveyed up the slope without having to become discombobulated or have ladies standing up and upsetting the Boat. 

'Consider the comfort of the Lady in preference to exhibiting your skill as an oarsmen'

'It is shocking bad form to stand up in a Boat'. 

Fun times. I bet there was a fair bit of necking under the trees. Sir George Young will have had 'no loitering' signs in the backwaters on his pleasure grounds. 

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

I particularly like the steam launches. It seems a wise move to have such craft. 

I see the persons in the large house have two. One with a suitable cabin presumably ideal for entertaining ladies and the other without cabin. 

Jerome K Jerome on steam launches at Maidenhead

"Maidenhead itself is too snobby to be pleasant.  It is the haunt of the river swell and his overdressed female companion.  It is the town of showy hotels, patronised chiefly by dudes and ballet girls.  It is the witch’s kitchen from which go forth those demons of the river—steam-launches."

and

"I do hate steam launches: I suppose every rowing man does.  I never see a steam launch but I feel I should like to lure it to a lonely part of the river, and there, in the silence and the solitude, strangle it.

There is a blatant bumptiousness about a steam launch that has the knack of rousing every evil instinct in my nature, and I yearn for the good old days, when you could go about and tell people what you thought of them with a hatchet and a bow and arrows.  The expression on the face of the man who, with his hands in his pockets, stands by the stern, smoking a cigar, is sufficient to excuse a breach of the peace by itself; and the lordly whistle for you to get out of the way would, I am confident, ensure a verdict of “justifiable homicide” from any jury of river men."

Funny how now they seem so gentile...

Great pics though, thank you for posting!

Edited by Bacchus
  • Greenie 2

I could say the same about gin palaces and diesel cruisers. Steel ones especially ;)

I must say that while out in my electric canoe at Cliveden, which happens rather frequently, I do rather resent the noise and wash of larger craft so can understand the point of view expressed. 

Never read the three men in a Boat book. Tried too once but the writing style done me in. 

9 minutes ago, magnetman said:

diesel cruisers. Steel ones especially ;)

I'll keep quiet about my new project then... 😬

Thames is a funny old place, there do seem to be an increasing number of ridiculously expensive boats with "attitude" issues who seem to think it's about getting somewhere rather than being somewhere.

I have the same tranquillity issues when sailing the Tinker.

• Greenie 1

You have a Tinker. Cool ! 

There is something about the River yes. Its been going on for ages. Fortunately I managed to buy an Eton Racing Boats rowing coach launch called Podium so when I am about they know who is boss. That one has a Honda 10 so can be used any time including yesterday. 10 knots max speed handles anything on the River. 

The electric canoe is cool but a bit wobbly when its busy with boats or over 100 cumecs through maidenhead. 

I clamped a 3.5hp outboard onto a wooden canoe once. Had to sit on the port side with the outboard on the starboard to balance it out. It flew! Trouble was, the speed we were going at sent a wake of water from shaft of the advancing outboard upwards and into the canoe, so tickover only!

4 hours ago, magnetman said:

You have a Tinker. Cool ! 

There is something about the River yes. Its been going on for ages. Fortunately I managed to buy an Eton Racing Boats rowing coach launch called Podium so when I am about they know who is boss. That one has a Honda 10 so can be used any time including yesterday. 10 knots max speed handles anything on the River. 

The electric canoe is cool but a bit wobbly when its busy with boats or over 100 cumecs through maidenhead. 

how’s about a steam canoe? Fuelled by calor gas sited in the bow. I believe taken at Henley. 

image.png.4dbbd734ab41b31685e650fcb2e118f8.png