Bow tank bladders

BigRedDog

Featured Posts

Hi all,

New to the forum and new to boat ownership.

I have a 1980 Norseman with an integral bow tank, and before I embark on a full clean and reseal of it, I'd like to fit one of the bow bladders I see online, similar to;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194340455828?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=32w1x-3YRX6&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=lVor45O8QFm&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Has anyone ever used one of these and can share their experience? Are they simple to install and connect up the inlet and outlet pipes?

Many thanks

Rich

The last boat that I had a couple of years ago had one in that was leaking. I replaced it with the same type of bladder and cover and it was fairly easy. Of course everything was in place so I didn't have to run pipes or connect up pumps or anything. I no longer have that boat but it was all okay when I sold it.

^

Its a good point. 

Norseman is a Hancock and Lane late 70s / early 80s so it is a pretty old boat. 

It probably has an inspection cover on the tank although condition of the fasteners holding it could be problematic. 

Point is that this is an integral tank. These boats tend to have thin base plates probably 1/4 inch. Maybe it had a new bottom at some stage but that is not always a Good Thing. 

I'd be looking carefully at the inside of the tank before considering putting in a flexible liner. 

30 minutes ago, David Mack said:

And if you fit a bladder are you just going to install it in the existing rusty tank, so that the rust can continue to spread unseen outside the bladder?

3 hours ago, BigRedDog said:

and before I embark on a full clean and reseal of it, I'd like to fit one of the bow bladders I see online, similar to;

Looks like a 'yes' then!

Better to fit the bladder after the full clean up.