Aqualine widebeam

Featured Posts

Hi all

My chimney externally has a block of wood because of the slope of the roof acting to make a level base for the chimney base to sit on. It is leaking quite badly now and I need to know if it would be better to have in place of the wood - welding done to seat the chimney base on?

A silicone cone and sealant on the roof has been suggested and I am really not sure what to do. 
suggestions will be gratefully received 

Quite a lot of people do use the silicone flashing type of flue sealing device "a silicone cone"

I don't like them for boats. I would rather get a welding job and acquire a flat surface and preferably get a collar welded in at the same time.

I think in this situation in November it would be worth considering a silicone flashing but it will make taking the external terminal orf more difficult so if you have a lot of low bridges to contend with it is not the ideal solution.

• Happy 1

I had one on my last boat, it was a fiberglass boat so I had an insulated flue, into a silicone collar thing and the whole lot finished about 6" above roof level. I then fabricated a removable tapered (didn't need to be as tapered as it was, looked silly) chimney to sit on top.

On my current boat I've welded the chimney collar level on a little plinth, seems to work*, which personally is the way I'd go here, but a silicone one would get you through winter. Consider using a PU sealant rather than a silicone to stick it down as painting over silicone residue in the future is a nightmare 

*Really should update my build thread.... 

• Happy 1