Isolation transformer wiring clarification

ChrisL

Featured Posts

• 1 month later...
On 02/11/2023 at 11:00, GUMPY said:

A suitable soft start module easy to wire in

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233814687104?

update all working, however very occasionally on start up yes bollard does trip, so I decided to go with Grump's recommendation unfortunately I have received 2 both 2600W after I ordered 4000W I have been in touch with other sellers asking if their advertised 4000W is correct all have said no either 2200 or 2600. There are some 5000W ones advertised but would these give a nice soft start for the transformer 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193928435193?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=gVVg5_8mTwG&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=yEj9NWIqRhu&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Or could I use the two 2600W ones I've had delivered in parallel 

thanks Chris

Edited by ChrisL

The important thing is the current rating on the relay as that's what has to conduct the load when in use.

Look at the current rating on the relay provided it's over 20amps you should be fine.

The one you linked to was 30a so no problems with that 

3 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Paralleling will not work, one will lead the other.

Confirms my thoughts 👍

3 hours ago, GUMPY said:

The important thing is the current rating on the relay as that's what has to conduct the load when in use.

Look at the current rating on the relay provided it's over 20amps you should be fine.

The one you linked to was 30a so no problems with that 

ok I’ll order one of those 

Thanks both for advice 

• 3 weeks later...

My soft start finally arrived so now fitted to isolation transformer, you can hear the effect of soft start so now there is no bang as the transformer is switched on.

thank you to all the advice/recommendations 

IMG_4362.jpeg

• Greenie 1

One thing from your picture 

Can you turn the power off and check for continuity between the input earth and the output earth.

There should be NO continuity.

8 minutes ago, GUMPY said:

Good that's how it should be. 

I just couldn't work out the earth path from the picture. 

The shoreline comes in top left and I cut back so as to direct earth into primary side of isolating coil. The live and neutral go into soft start then from this to the primary side of isolating coil.

The secondary coil output feeds to bottom left before feeding up to distribution box again I stripped back (you can see the blue insulation tape) to connect earth wire to the casing stud which is connected with a earth wire to an independent stainless stud in engine drilled and tapped to the shell

thanks again for assistance 👍