hot water

squid

Featured Posts

12 hours ago, blackrose said:

In that case the hot water system should have been fitted with a simple thermostatic mixing valve so nobody could be caught out and potentially scalded. .

I have one on my boat and if I'm cruising and running the engine then all hot water goes through the TMV because hot water heated by the engine circuit is far too hot to use. If I'm not using the engine I can close an isolator before the TMV and open a small bypass circuit so I don't have to use the TMV.

The TMV tends to get clogged by bits or limescale from the calorifier so I filled a Y strainer just before the TMV and it never gets clogged now.

It was a reasonably cool running engine (Russell Newbery with 60 degree stat) and the shower just had two taps so you could balance things. No thermostatic mixer probably because they are a nuisance. 

It worked fine once one realised that you only use the paloma if the water in the calorifier is cold. 

Probably designed for a couple both of whom understood it and were the only people using the shower and sinks. Basic rule easy to follow. When boating use the calorifier and when staying on a mooring use the paloma. In 12 yars living on that boat I never once ran the engine while tied up to get hot water. 

It was a good setup and I would do it again. Nice and simple. 

22 hours ago, magnetman said:

No thermostatic mixer probably because they are a nuisance. 

If they are fitted with a Y strainer upstream they're not a nuisance at all and you don't even know they're there. It's no different to the millions of TMVs operating in thousands of buildings across the country that you're unaware of.

Anyway, I can assure you it's much more of a nuisance if someone happens to get scalded with 80C water, but if your engine doesn't run that hot I guess you don't need one.

• Greenie 1