Upper Peak Forest canal stoppage

Chris T

Featured Posts

This afternoon we planned to moor just before the first of the lift bridges, so that we could turn there in the morning and do some food shopping in Marple. Got to Marple junction to find a CRT sign saying that the canal was closed at bridge 24 and this was the last available winding hole. 

I didn't risk it because it's quite a long way to reverse if it's correct, but does anyone know if there is a reason why the winding hole just before the manual lift bridge cannot be used? I'm not sure if it's a full size one but I've turned there countless times and it's a nice quiet mooring spot. 

Thank you. 

On 05/09/2023 at 19:43, Chris T said:

This afternoon we planned to moor just before the first of the lift bridges, so that we could turn there in the morning and do some food shopping in Marple. Got to Marple junction to find a CRT sign saying that the canal was closed at bridge 24 and this was the last available winding hole. 

I didn't risk it because it's quite a long way to reverse if it's correct, but does anyone know if there is a reason why the winding hole just before the manual lift bridge cannot be used? I'm not sure if it's a full size one but I've turned there countless times and it's a nice quiet mooring spot. 

Thank you. 

Should be no reason not to wind after manual Lift Bridge 22, CRT notification for Bridge 24 does not state the winding holes available each side.

We were told this morning that some boats from our marina had gone out seeking some shade this week and weren't happy at having to to reverse back up to Marple junction, as they hadn't been aware of the bridge 24 closure. This must have been before the CRT signs went up. 

I don't know what length boats they were, but there aren't many full length boats here so I'd have expected some / most to be able to turn next the manual lift bridge (I thought the winding hole was the Marple side of it) if nothing has changed. 

1 hour ago, Chris T said:

We were told this morning that some boats from our marina had gone out seeking some shade this week and weren't happy at having to to reverse back up to Marple junction, as they hadn't been aware of the bridge 24 closure. This must have been before the CRT signs went up. 

I don't know what length boats they were, but there aren't many full length boats here so I'd have expected some / most to be able to turn next the manual lift bridge (I thought the winding hole was the Marple side of it) if nothing has changed. 

There may be a data problem:

Waterway Routes gives a WH at Marple Junction, between BR 21 and 22 and one just after BR22 - thereafter 27-28, 28-29, Furness Vale Marina,  and Whaley Bridge junction

However, the online map from CaRThttps://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/canal-and-river-network, does not show any winding holes at all, not even Marple or Whaley Bridge Junctions.

It is possible that whoever generated the restriction notice looked at the online map and found nothing, hence the advice (although they did at lats know that you could wind there!)

I asked CRT why their online maps do not show all winding holes. The response was that not all winding holes are 'official' CRT ones and as such they cannot put these on their online maps. However, they did say to please continue to make them aware of missing ones or any other missing services on their maps using their online map correction tool located here ... Customer Service Facility - Map Updates (jotformeu.com)

That sounds quite plausible. 

I've just checked my Nicholson's and the one between bridge 21 and 22 is where we wind if we're not carrying on to Bugsworth/ Whaley Bridge. For some reason I can't bring to mind the one between 22 and 23 but that is in Nicholson's too, both showing as full length (at the time anyway).  Both are also on Canalplan.

Looks like I should have carried on!