The Peoples 50 Million

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

The voting for the 50 million is now open, am not saying who you should vote for but anyone watching Toyah Wilcox promoting the Black Country Urban Park last night will know that this is the only one of the four projects that includes a substantial canal restoration content

http://www.thepeoples50million.org.uk

Tim

Hi Tim,

I've just cast my vote.

Our local community won just over £50,000 from the People's Millions in the Granada TV area last week to clean up the stretch of my local river that runs through the town centre and make it more accessible. It's going to make a huge difference to us in our little town, so I'd be glad to see another group receive funding if it promotes the sense of community spirit that we've found.

What a pity though, that with all these millions to give away, they have to turn it into a competition. All the causes are deserving of funding.

Janet

The voting for the 50 million is now open, am not saying who you should vote for but anyone watching Toyah Wilcox promoting the Black Country Urban Park last night will know that this is the only one of the four projects that includes a substantial canal restoration content

The Melton & Oakham Waterways Society, who have sent their members (of which I'm one) a letter exhorting them to vote for Sustrans' Connect2, might disagree!

The Sustrans project will remove the first blockage to navigation on the MMN, a key MOWS objective for ten years now - among several other waterway-related schemes.

The interests of the waterways are probably best served by voting for both - one online, one by phone (or one by landline, one by mobile, whichever really).

Richard

..... as I only found out late last night that our town will benefit immensely from Sustrans!

Janet

One of the Sustrans projects involves my town too. They are hoping to put a footbridge/cyclepath across a busy dual carriageway. Pedestrians currently have to chance their life with the rush hour traffic when they take their kids to school etc. In recent years a local schoolgirl was killed whilst crossing the road.

My point is though that funding for this sort of safety related project should not be coming from lottery money in any case. It should be borne by the the highways authority. They built the bypass in the first place without giving any thought to how the pedestrians would manage to cross a busy 4 lane road where there had never been one. :rolleyes:

Thats an excellent point Neil, it shouldnt be down to lottery money to make things safe for people to cross the road, it should be down to the money generated by fuel tax and RFL which at the moment exceeds what is spent on the roads. At the last count £50 billion a year is taken from road users in taxes and approx £7 billion is spent on roads per annum, now from these figures the £50 million they are talking about in this competition is a drop in the ocean and the schemes such as the one in the sustrans project should come from the road taxes imo.

http://www.thepeoples50million.org.uk

Tim

The cyclists got it.

A real shame as I would have love to have seen it spent in the land of my youth.

Tim

The cyclists got it.

A real shame as I would have love to have seen it spent in the land of my youth.

Tim

Shame. I voted for Dudley but at least there is some sort of benefit to towpath users in some places, just as long as the loony lycra brigade don't think they now own the towpath for speed trials instead of sharing with consideration with walkers, anglers and boaters.

D

As Richard has already said, It will also allow for the removal of the first physical barrier to boating on the Melton and Oakham canal. Which is great news for Leicestershire boating, and great news for MOWS, i believe there is only one lock to rebuild before the Gate Hangs Well (a not bad at all pub) could have boats moored outside.

http://beehive.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/...ome&ID=6595

Edited by fuzzyduck