An introduction to the Grand Surrey Canal

David Mack

Featured Posts

I was looking at the Grand Surrey on NLS OS maps recently - it is a curious canal in may ways, dead end, level, though a heavily urbanised area and it's built form seems more like a four mile long dock than a canal. Did it have a water supply or was it simply fed from the docks - if the latter I should imagine the water at the far end got a bit fruity with the lack of flow!

The Croydon canal joined the Grand Surrey at New Cross, but only lasted for about 30 years in the early 1800s. It was  just over 9 miles long with 28 locks, and South Norwood Lake remains as one of the two reservoirs that fed it.

CroydonCanalcopy.thumb.jpg.4b3e5551194c0eda5a8af31446a666f7.jpg

Somewhere I have reference to research done probably by a canal enthusiast society which gives a lot of photos of what traces they have found. It should be on my computer so I'll see if I can locate it.

6 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

I was looking at the Grand Surrey on NLS OS maps recently - it is a curious canal in may ways, dead end, level, though a heavily urbanised area and it's built form seems more like a four mile long dock than a canal. Did it have a water supply or was it simply fed from the docks - if the latter I should imagine the water at the far end got a bit fruity with the lack of flow!

Patrick

I have this info on the feeder.

image.png.8271aad32a77b3371386836a6f53e2e2.png

I've had a quick look, and the best is the link  https://londoncanals.uk/historical/the-croydon-canal-20-route-maps/  of maps and photos of the route.

I see it was opened 1809 at the same time as the Grand Surrey, and was originally planned as the Croydon & Rotherhythe Canal. The Grand Surrey was supposed to get to Portsmouth, but rail development put paid to both of them.

It closed in 1836 and was the first canal to be abandoned by Act of Parliament

Edited by Tam & Di
re closure