Tidying up minor scrapes

AndyE

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

I thought the main point of epoxy was that it didn't need doing every 2-3 years. Traditional blacking lasts that long, so in general, why not go for the less expensive option? After all, it's the haul/lift out that costs anyway.

I am happy that my epoxy below waterline and on waterline is doing the job, so it does not need re coating, but I like the boat to look smart, so I would like an even colour above the waterline, I can reach most of it from time to time, so I would want to re coat scruffs.

I do all my own painting so have a stock in hand, I last rented a floating paint shed for a week and managed to do quite a bit, so now it's just touch up.

Edited by LadyG

4 hours ago, AndyE said:

Sorry for the noob question but what do you mean by "Chalking"? 

It's a reaction that some epoxy has with UV light. Black turns grey within a few months.

4 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

I thought the main point of epoxy was that it didn't need doing every 2-3 years. Traditional blacking lasts that long, so in general, why not go for the less expensive option? After all, it's the haul/lift out that costs anyway.

Yes it is the main point and no it doesn't need doing every 2-3 years. Epoxy can last 10 years if your prep is good and you do a good job. What people are talking about here is going over scrapes above the waterline which haven't gone through to the steel. Others are talking about going over faded epoxy because they like their hull black rather than grey. 

Unless you've actually used epoxy you won't realise how much better it is compared to bitumen.

4 hours ago, MtB said:

I've always understood 'chalking' to be the process where old paint begins to break down and the surface becomes loose and powdery. 

Chalking is a term used for what you describe when referring to the breakdown of single part paints, but it doesn't mean the same thing when referring to epoxy paint because apart from the colour change epoxy will resist any breakdown of its molecular structure. 

Edited by blackrose