Fibreglass roof, does it need repainting?

LoganHarrow

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, LoganHarrow said:

Looks good 

My roof needs some TLC, but from the looks of my pictures, do I need to be worried? It mostly, from my untrained eye, looks like the top layer of paint is coming away in areas and the blue fibreglass is exposed. I get worried by little things I guess and blow them out of proportion in my head 🙁

47 minutes ago, LoganHarrow said:

My roof needs some TLC, but from the looks of my pictures, do I need to be worried? It mostly, from my untrained eye, looks like the top layer of paint is coming away in areas and the blue fibreglass is exposed. I get worried by little things I guess and blow them out of proportion in my head 🙁

From your pics I think that you're right so there shouldn't be any big worries. Multiple layers of old paint have cracked and peeled and are showing slightly cracked light blue gelcoat below. Maybe some has grey filler in a bit. So, for a basic DIY job, just a bit of a blunt scraper and then a wire brush to get rid of all the flaking paint. Do not dig into the original gelcoat. Feather the edges of old paint surface as best as can be done with fine paper. Paint with colour to fill gap/match the rest, sand the whole lot and paint the same. It's pretty much impossible to go back to original gelcoat once it's been covered with layers of paint but there are plenty of GRP boats out there that have been painted over and over again.

1 hour ago, BilgePump said:

From your pics I think that you're right so there shouldn't be any big worries. Multiple layers of old paint have cracked and peeled and are showing slightly cracked light blue gelcoat below. Maybe some has grey filler in a bit. So, for a basic DIY job, just a bit of a blunt scraper and then a wire brush to get rid of all the flaking paint. Do not dig into the original gelcoat. Feather the edges of old paint surface as best as can be done with fine paper. Paint with colour to fill gap/match the rest, sand the whole lot and paint the same. It's pretty much impossible to go back to original gelcoat once it's been covered with layers of paint but there are plenty of GRP boats out there that have been painted over and over again.

Thanks 🙂

Just used Zinsser Cover Stain on a few areas that needed it followed by 2 coats of Jotun Pioner on my coachroof, sides and wheelhouse. It looks great & is good value (5L just over £50 SML Paints). Haven't tried Zinsser Allcoat but have used several of their paints, they're very good...