Llangollen bridge repair.

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

I got an email saying the towpath is shut at the bottom of the Llangollen due to a washwall failure, but the navigation is still open.

Has anybody been round there and can say whether there's a risk of closure of the navigation? I really don't want to be stuck up there for months while CRT argue with British Heritage as to what stone they should use.

8 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I got an email saying the towpath is shut at the bottom of the Llangollen due to a washwall failure, but the navigation is still open.

Has anybody been round there and can say whether there's a risk of closure of the navigation? I really don't want to be stuck up there for months while CRT argue with British Heritage as to what stone they should use.

It's taken them since April to realise it's a listed structure, i'd imagine you've got another few months whilst they argue over a method, then another few months to get their repair ducks in a row, then another few to let folk know when it'll be closing. Winter works programme??

Is @Tony1 still loitering around there?? Perhaps he can shed light?

4 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

It's taken them since April to realise it's a listed structure, i'd imagine you've got another few months whilst they argue over a method, then another few months to get their repair ducks in a row, then another few to let folk know when it'll be closing. Winter works programme??

Is @Tony1 still loitering around there?? Perhaps he can shed light?

My dear fellow, I make a point of never loitering, especially not on the Llangollen. One encounters the most dreadful riff raff during the summer months. 

The glorious Weaver is my waterway du jour, and jolly nice it is too, although one never feels 100% certain the lift will still be open when its time to leave....

We went through last month or so, some of the large stone blocks at the towpath edge under the bridge have dislodged and subsided. They aren't affecting the bridge at all, and I think, given the size of the blocks, that the stone is all still there.

Looked to me like they just needed to build up the towpath edge and reseat the blocks, but whether they can do that without lowering the level I don't know.