Bonkers Springer Handling

Boot wharf man

Featured Posts

Hi all,

Hope you don't mind me adding this here, but i was just curious as to whether anyone has encountered similarly strange behavior from boats they've steered.

The boat in question is a 40' springer with a 9mm thick hull below the water line. It goes forwards in a perfectly normal manner but when it comes to stopping it takes 3 boat lengths to stop but then accelerates to full speed in reverse in seconds and steers more easily than a grp cruiser going backwards.

It is not underpowered or proped according to the prop sizing charts and has coped with towing a 60' narrowboat.

Do you have any experiance with boats with other odd characteristics, I'd like to here about them as well as any unuasual features.

Just thought it might be an interesting subject.

Many thanks

Bootwharfman

The prop is cavitating for a while.........try putting it in reverse at tickover, then slowly increasing the throttle speed.

I often have to put mine in reverse to get rid of bits of weed etc. At first I thought the clutch was slipping, but it's the prop.

A bit like spinning your wheels on snow. I you set off with lots of revs, even in 3rd you'll go nowhere. However if you set off in second at tickover you get moving.

Got to agree with Malc here. A classic case of cavitation.

It is a usual problem with inexperienced boat handlers. They need to stop quickly, apply loads of rev's, and all the prop does is thrash around in air.

In an emergency situation, it takes a bit of courage/experience to know that putting in to reverse and gently applying throttle will actual stop you quicker.

The slightest sign of excessive vibration or 'foam' issuing out from the counter is a sure sign of cavitation. Drop the rev's back down, let the prop bite and it will stop you quicker.

It is a trait with modern engines that can go from ahead to full astern very quickly. Older 'vintage' engines that take time to run down to tickover, change gear and then run back up to speed tend to do it in a natural time scale. Them big, heavy flywheels do the trick!

Most boats will slow down quicker if you put the throttle to dead slow from full speed for a few seconds before stopping the prop and going astern. The mismatch of revs causes the prop blades to generate drag which slows you quicker than, say going directly from full ahead to full astern.

Howard Anguish

Also if its a springer and its 9mm below the water line it has obviously been overplated thereby adding more weight. More weight going forward to stop.

Try changing your brake discs to a larger size see if this helps.

:wub:

• 1 month later...

Dreyfus had the same characteristic when she was replated with 10mm steel. Mind you, with an SR2 on board we weren't going anywhere fast (or indeed quiet).

Jill

Sorry to drag this one up again, but I've only just seen it and got wildly excited about another Springer doing it! (I really must get out more .......)

(so wildly excited I couldn't speel either .......)

Edited by wrigglefingers