Sterling Pro Combi Inverter problem.

Featured Posts

Hello, just found this searching for answers to Sterling Combi Inverter problem. Saw a post from 2021 where shore power was dropping out for no reason. Same here but I also have alarms going off as soon as we try anything! Home mooring connected to shore power, batteries not charging and Inverter showing ‘trip overload’. 
I am unfortunately now widowed, my husband was the electrician, and did all the fit out himself, so not standard nb fit out!

I know nothing about electrics, and not much experience on boats. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. 

Welcome to the forum.

Agree with above. A model number and photo of the LED's when the unit is exhibiting fault conditions will at the very least allow you to consult the manual.

If the unit is at fault and less than 2 years old, it may be a case of returning it for fault finding. I believe sterling are pretty helpful with this.

Failing that, and it is a wiring fault, more photos would be helpful.

Have you tried changing the shore bollard supply to another one? It is possible, but unlikely that the bollard is at fault (or even overvoltage. Ask neigbours if they are having any problems).

Edited by rusty69

Thank you for replying. I don’t have any nb neighbours. My mooring is private, end of garden outside the house. 

Still trying to find the fault! Have got the Sterling Pro Combi manual, and can see which faults are lit, but they have now been different on two occasions! Its a bit of a mystery. 
Shore power cable and socket into the back of the boat have been replaced by a qualified electrician. Trip switch on dis board also replaced - gradually working through the options!!

Agree it could be damp or dry connections, as the boat has now stood / not been used for over 18 months! Stern gland is too stiff to move! Like I said I am a novice, but willing to learn!! Need to have it sorted as using the boat this year. 
Next step is talk to Sterling. Inverter is out of warranty but thats life!
After that call the boat electrician back!

Thank you for your comments.  

On 09/05/2023 at 08:39, Sarah Williams said:

Hello, just found this searching for answers to Sterling Combi Inverter problem. Saw a post from 2021 where shore power was dropping out for no reason. Same here but I also have alarms going off as soon as we try anything! Home mooring connected to shore power, batteries not charging and Inverter showing ‘trip overload’. 
I am unfortunately now widowed, my husband was the electrician, and did all the fit out himself, so not standard nb fit out!

I know nothing about electrics, and not much experience on boats. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. 

This assumes a burgler alarm has not been fitted.

The only alarms I would expect would be the buzzer that alerts you that you have the ignition on but the engine stationary (or if running the oil pressure, temperature, or charging has failed. This one will sound as soon as you turn the ignition on. That is normal.

Some inverters have alarms that usually sound if the 12V battery voltage is too low for operation, so that could well be a problem as you say they are not charging, but with a combi-inverter they should be if shore power is connected. There is a chance that the domestic batteries have died with internal short circuits, but there is no way this is certain, so unless checked and proven it would not be sensible to buy new batteries.

Some chargers will refuse to charge batteries that are too flat, so this could be the case with the combi-inverter and that might also trigger an alarm.

If the shore power tripped out while you were concentrating elsewhere for several months, then they could have flattened themselves by self discharge, especially if they were already old.

It would help if you can identify exactly what is sounding the alarm because there are smoke alarms, gas alarms or water in bilge alarms that can be fitted. The BSS requires a CO alarm and a smoke alarm. They often use dry cell batteries and sound when the batteries need changing. If there is a gas alarm, it probably runs from the boat's 12V supply. Some such alarms may also sound when they are time expired.

1 hour ago, Sarah Williams said:

Stern gland is too stiff to move! Like I said I am a novice, but willing to learn!!

It is not clear exactly what you mean by this. You would rarely try to turn the stern gland itself, but you should regularly (every day whilst cruising) turn the stern gland greaser down on the majority of boats, so I wonder if you are talking about the stern gland greaser. If you are it could be as simple as needing to refill it with grease. A photo of what you are trying to turn will help to see if it is the greaser and if it is empty.

You might mean that you are trying to turn the actual propeller shaft, and if so it will be stiff to turn, I would always use the larger diameter shaft coupling to try to turn the shaft. If the engine is an old SR or SL Lister then the gearbox may well drop into ahead as soon as you stop the engine, and then you won't be able to turn the shaft. This only applies to those particular engines.