Morse for dwarves

Featured Posts

-.. .-- .- .-. ...- . ...

(If you are so inclined)

I'm changing my Morse control after cursing it so often for being positioned suited only for a dwarf helmsman.

I'll remove it from the steel panel it's presently mounted on and install a new oak-faced ply board in its place, raising the control by about 25cm.

I can see the control from the back of the steel panel, and that it is held with four screws. How do I reach the heads of those screws, please? I'm at the point shown in the photo, with the throttle handle/button assembly off. Expecting the black cover to be held by some concealed fastener. I'm unwilling at this stage to try levering the black cover off, as it feels tightly fitted.

The single leaflet of instructions I have for this control shows no exploded diagram, only the advice that it can be removed from the panel without disconnecting the Morse cables.
SML_PXL_20230406_150902171.jpg.928415f22974c6e6fdd693da3a206289.jpg

That looks like it does indeed just prise off, or there is a fixing under the Dometic badge.

An adult will be along shortly.

Somebod like @matty40s  will know.

This is a picture of the back side of the current version.

Screenshot_20230406-154153_Chrome.jpg

And the control shows four corresponding holes.

Screenshot_20230406-154543_Chrome.jpg

Taken from here.

https://www.sheridanmarine.com/product/seastar-teleflex-single-lever-700ss-side-mount-control

Edited by M_JG

16 hours ago, PaulJ said:

Its the same as mine- cover pops off and fits as M_JG says.

Qualified to answer as Im not very tall 😀

Yes, that was it. I just needed confirmation that it really was a push fit and not some fiendish hidden circlip.

No height discrimination intended, no horses or dwarves were harmed in the moving of this control.

17 hours ago, M_JG said:

That looks like it does indeed just prise off, or there is a fixing under the Dometic badge.

An adult will be along shortly.

Somebod like @matty40s  will know.

This is a picture of the back side of the current version.

Screenshot_20230406-154153_Chrome.jpg

And the control shows four corresponding holes.

Screenshot_20230406-154543_Chrome.jpg

Taken from here.

https://www.sheridanmarine.com/product/seastar-teleflex-single-lever-700ss-side-mount-control

Thanks!

Edited by Puffling

38 minutes ago, Puffling said:

Yes, that was it. I just needed confirmation that it really was a push fit and not some fiendish hidden circlip.

No height discrimination intended, no horses or dwarves were harmed in the moving of this control.

Thanks!

I did chuckle when I first read your post.

I was moving a lovely boat not long ago, everything on it and about it was great- except the morse control was at about knee height.What a pain -even I had to bend down to reach it 😀

5 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

I did chuckle when I first read your post.

I was moving a lovely boat not long ago, everything on it and about it was great- except the morse control was at about knee height.What a pain -even I had to bend down to reach it 😀

I do accept that the bargees of yore were shorter in stature than the average today. Lower nutrition, grinding work lifting and hefting must have contributed. But I bet the boat you moved was built in the current era, say since 1970. I've struggled against most things being too low for me, but simply put up with them because alteration (for example with a kitchen sink) would involve so much disruption. At least with this little Morsey alteration I am able to make a new start for relatively little investment.

My boat has a trad stern. On windy and rainy days standing inside with the rear doors closed and hatch drawn close to chest, I've previously had to perform a sort of 'boat curtsy' in order to reach the control, not enough space for a bend. From what I've seen, cruiser stern narrowboats have an even lower mounting position for the pylon (or whatever you term the pillar that vital controls are mounted on).