Perkins 6354 bleed ponts

W+T

Featured Posts

Got a couple of these Perkins 6354 and need to bleed them due to new filters and lines been fitted.

I know the lift/prime pump and to crack off injectors but are there and bleed vales etc anywhere in the system to go at aswell ? 

Cheers

:)

Almost certainly yes, top of the fuel filter and somewhere on the body of the injector pump, but the manuals and images I have found do not say where on the pump, in fact it mentioned CAV DPA or inline injector pumps, but the images I have seen look more like a vertical rotary pump, but not the common DPA. If no one else can help, post photos of the injector pump showing all around it.

• Greenie 1

On 05/04/2023 at 21:27, Tony Brooks said:

Almost certainly yes, top of the fuel filter and somewhere on the body of the injector pump, but the manuals and images I have found do not say where on the pump, in fact it mentioned CAV DPA or inline injector pumps, but the images I have seen look more like a vertical rotary pump, but not the common DPA. If no one else can help, post photos of the injector pump showing all around it.

Well i sorted it for him. to a certain extent as bot engines fired and ran fine. to the extent of them conking out after maybe 10mins. fuel loss, not getting to the primer. I bypassed the filters and ran spot on from a jerry can full, connect direct to the primer and it primed fine. So problem is between the off take pipe in the tank and the outlet of the filter. he checked he didnt leave a bung in the filter from factory fitting to see if that was stopping fuel getting through.

The engines were running great before the filter swap from glass bowled water separators and new fuel lines.  

all i can think is the filters are not letting fuel flow enough, but he said there more than the flow needed. 

thanks for the advice/help

That sounds more like an air leak into the suction side of the circuit if the glass bowl water trap is where they usually are. Seeing it may be a DPA pumps does the ENGINE filter(s) have a leak off pipe in the top? Otherwise, misplaced filter seals or an under or over tightened pipe union.

• Greenie 1

I asked.him about that and if he had tighten the unions properly and yes he has. I wanted to remove them and check but didn't have time after the hassle we had. 

This is the filter he used in exchange for the glass bowls. 

It has to be the filter hasn't it.

20230407_113355.thumb.jpg.09b3f8739cf306b6d12402bf7088cbc7.jpg

18 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

That sounds more like an air leak into the suction side of the circuit if the glass bowl water trap is where they usually are. Seeing it may be a DPA pumps does the ENGINE filter(s) have a leak off pipe in the top? Otherwise, misplaced filter seals or an under or over tightened pipe union.

i asked him if the fittings into the filters are good and tight and he confirmed they are good. i was going to remove and check a refit them but didnt have the time. 

ill tell him to remove and refit again the filters. 

First of all it is all too easy to crush pipes under olives in compression fittings by overtightening them and where the pipes join both elbows the joints look to be at or close to the end of their travel. If there are olives in the pipe end of the elbows they would be my first consideration.

Secondly those elbows are NOT CAV/Delphi specification joints, in my view they are a bodge. The PTFE speaks of that. They MIGHT seal if they have taper make threads, but not if they are parallel.

If that unit was fitted as a new assembly then the chances of it being a seal problem is slim, if he assembled it then the chance is very much higher.

I am still very interested in the ENGINE or secondary fuel filter because if the engine does use a DPA pump that filter needs a leak off at the top to prevent a build up of air in the filter that tends to stop the engine after 10 minutes or so of running. May I see a photo of the injection pump and also of the engine filter.

I think the filter photo you posted is of the primary filter/water trap and that should not have a leak off fitting on it.

A boat 6/354 will likely have a mechanically governed DPA,which is quite different to a hydraulic DPA off a truck...........and at the risk of severe censure ,I will say get rid of the CAV filter and fit spin ons with a decent water trap.

28 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

The hex plug on the top of the CAV filter is an air bleed point.

Yes, but it has not been definitively established if the filter in the photo is a water trap on the suction side or a filter in the pressure side. If it is on the suction side loosening the hexagon would not let any air out unless it was lower than the fuel level. I am still waiting for the photos I asked for days ago and again last night. Then we can give a far better answer - but I still don't like the look of the plumbing in the photo, some looks like gas fittings to me.

PS, I know There is a filter in the photo, but it's primary job is to agglomerate any water droplets in the fuel so they drop into the bowl.

Hi all, i am still waiting for pics of the set up myself so i cant include them untill he sends me them. 

All tis as BSS examiner said the glass water traps need to be replaced along with fuel lines as this boat has always been on the sea and is all original, its never been inland before so he had to do a few things to make to BSS standard. . 

As soon i get the info back ill get back to you.

tanks for the help aswell, appreciate it:) 

49 minutes ago, W+T said:

Hi all, i am still waiting for pics of the set up myself so i cant include them untill he sends me them. 

All tis as BSS examiner said the glass water traps need to be replaced along with fuel lines as this boat has always been on the sea and is all original, its never been inland before so he had to do a few things to make to BSS standard. . 

As soon i get the info back ill get back to you.

tanks for the help aswell, appreciate it:) 

I am happy to wait, but in view of my uncertainty about what we were shown and what he actually has, I felt it better to try to stop wrong ideas being formed.

• Greenie 1

Often times ,a  new filter element is not bled properly..........the paper holds lots of air ,which needs a bit of time to come out ,generally as a foam,and this is why a superficial bleed will run the engine for a couple of minutes ,then stall...............now ,with spin ons you can fill the filter with fuel and let all the bubbles come out before installation.......try this with a 296!

• Greenie 1