Calorifier leak

Featured Posts

All fixed. The washer had indeed disintegrated. I replaced the whole fitting, in the end, a slightly different design but it is working fine.

I also worked out why the pipes were slightly out of alignment. Someone (not me, of course) must have crashed the boat into a lock gate and the tank had shuffled forward. I will need to find a way to stop it moving again.

Meanwhile, the domestic water pump decided to stop working. I disconnected it from the plumbing, unscrewed some of the screws holding the two halves together, and it decided to start working again. Aren't boats fun.DSC_1035.JPG.d418e3424a016ee8749ffdf542ae2a49.JPG 

• Greenie 1

• 5 months later...

I may be overthinking this, but I am wondering if there is a way to tighten this fitting to make sure it doesn't come loose again.  Ideas so far:

1) Tighten it some more using my pipe wrench

2) Use some PTFE tape (I know it's to make it watertight, which is not the issue)

3) Apply some loctite (there do seem to be rather a lot of products, maybe this one: https://www.vikingtapes.co.uk/products/loctite-243-threadlocker-blue-medium-strength?variant=40172618940479
4) Find a nut to go on the thread, and then lock it to the fitting (in a similar way to my stern gland)

Many thanks!

2 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Oh I see. Those fittings are not noted for coming loose. Just do them up good and tight in the first place.

Oh and yes, maybe the problem is those neoprene seals. Take them off and wind on some PTFE, I suggest. 

10 minutes ago, MtB said:

Oh I see. Those fittings are not noted for coming loose. Just do them up good and tight in the first place.

Oh and yes, maybe the problem is those neoprene seals. Take them off and wind on some PTFE, I suggest. 

Thanks, that is interesting. The tapered seals are different to the original design which had a flat washer. It's a mission critical bit of plumbing (part of main cooling system) which is why I obsess about it.  But I think need a washer of some sort to compress and make a watertight seal between the end of the pipe and the plastic part of the fitting.

6 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Thanks, that is interesting. The tapered seals are different to the original design which had a flat washer. It's a mission critical bit of plumbing (part of main cooling system) which is why I obsess about it.  But I think need a washer of some sort to compress and make a watertight seal between the end of the pipe and the plastic part of the fitting.

If you look carefully at your two fittings you'll see they are different. The one without the black seal on it is the original design and relied on a tap connector fibre washer to do the sealing. Pretty sure a tap connector fibre washer would fit on the MkII elbow you have too, if you snip off the black seal. 

E.G.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251225687268?

s-l1600.png

Edited by MtB

3 minutes ago, MtB said:

If you look carefully at your two fittings you'll see they are different. The one without the black seal on it is the original design and relied on a tap connector fibre washer to do the sealing. Pretty sure a tap connector fibre washer would fit on the MkII elbow you have too, if you snip off the black seal. 

E.G.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251225687268?hash=item3a7e37c4e4:g:r-cAAOSw1kVi~e4K&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8B58QTRIBRUEbHLG9%2FtRXZnbMZ4QK9IlR14Tx%2B5UYNXXGGyb%2FMOYVgxDh0S5Zoho3BLclF4KYGZq8gxVDOXbANIB5KzcX7PARDEjDHUbiJwJ1SeMNRqOd%2F3N%2B6GfYi97NEkVEeBBH0Y3XDlvJGTtHSmUvC7EBhSb8RsghmX32W%2FSon3Fq5h4XurJt9Axjo3pDZpr%2BAI%2Fi%2FO5rGmvc5QXiEpzMGSLRHMgVIW6XwcBoR635ORitpGpi4P4CFe%2BzEva%2BTs%2B0YrjVGNrpZu%2BJ5iP5H66%2FBu2yFQ1%2F5tb%2FQOcT%2FBan%2F083wvJMgyi%2BJGUN1%2FL5g%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR9rKjNfMYg

Thanks, I think I've got it now. Not even necessary to snip the black seal, it just flips off to reveal a nice flat surface to take the sort of washer you suggest....

6 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Thanks, I think I've got it now. Not even necessary to snip the black seal, it just flips off to reveal a nice flat surface to take the sort of washer you suggest....

You could probably sell the black seal on ebay 🤣🤣🤣

I wonder if some of the loosening is the plastic softening, so the flange becomes thinner. This certainly happens on compression fitting on plastic pipe - even if you use a metal pipe insert. I think I would be looking for another solution, possibly involving brass fittings and car heater hose

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I wonder if some of the loosening is the plastic softening, so the flange becomes thinner. This certainly happens on compression fitting on plastic pipe - even if you use a metal pipe insert. I think I would be looking for another solution, possibly involving brass fittings and car heater hose

Thank you, I think I will see how the modification above works -- ie replacing both joints and putting in flat washers. The previous setup has worked fine for 29 years....

• 5 months later...
11 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Mark 2: rather better made fittings, which came with both flat and tapered washers. I also added a lock nut, to avoid overtightening. So I really don't think this will move again..

And yet... there are droplets of water visible on the yellow plastic sheet behind the fitting in your photo! 

1 minute ago, MtB said:

And yet... there are droplets of water visible on the yellow plastic sheet behind the fitting in your photo! 

That was from when I removed the  previous fittings.  Most of the coolant had been drained into a bucket in the engine room, but not all....  The lagging is also a bit soggy.  Any leaks end up in the cabin bilge and are very easy to spot.