Bleeding Engine

Liam

Featured Posts

Could anyone point me in the right direction to find the bleed screw on a Perkins D3?

I beleive it's on the left hand side of the engine (looking forwards from the stern) above the oil filter somewhere, but I'm not exactly sure what it is I'm looking for?

Many thanks.

Could anyone point me in the right direction to find the bleed screw on a Perkins D3?

I beleive it's on the left hand side of the engine (looking forwards from the stern) above the oil filter somewhere, but I'm not exactly sure what it is I'm looking for?

Many thanks.

On my perkins peroma it was on the right hand side looking from the stern.

We had someone working on the boat and when they had to bleed the engine they had to step over the gearbox to get to the bleedscrew. I tried to see where the screw was but couldn't as I was stood over the other side of the engine in the engine room, and I forgot to ask the guy to show me before he left too.

It looked as though he was fidding about around the area above the oil filter, either around, or to the left (towards the alternators) about the same level as where the accelerator cable attaches to the engine.

In the past, I've just used the fuel pump to get the diesel to the injectors and then turned the engine over with the key whilst cracking the injectors open. Once I've heard the hiss and can see diesel leaking out I've shut it off. The engine coughs and if it doesn't kick over I go along doing the 2nd, and then 3rd if it needs it.

We had someone working on the boat and when they had to bleed the engine they had to step over the gearbox to get to the bleedscrew. I tried to see where the screw was but couldn't as I was stood over the other side of the engine in the engine room, and I forgot to ask the guy to show me before he left too.

It looked as though he was fidding about around the area above the oil filter, either around, or to the left (towards the alternators) about the same level as where the accelerator cable attaches to the engine.

In the past, I've just used the fuel pump to get the diesel to the injectors and then turned the engine over with the key whilst cracking the injectors open. Once I've heard the hiss and can see diesel leaking out I've shut it off. The engine coughs and if it doesn't kick over I go along doing the 2nd, and then 3rd if it needs it.

That's just as good to get fuel through and get rid of the air. There is probably a bleed on the inlet to the pump, as well as a high pressure bleed. Where, unfortunately I cannot help you.

Because there's a "bleed screw" I just thought this was the official, and maybe better way of going about it. Having said that, the "old" way, which I've done it before has worked in the past so I may aswell continue to do so.

Thanks for the replies :D

Hi Liam.

Try to think of your fuel system as two separate entities, a low pressure circuit delivers fuel at low pressure but without any air to the injector pump/s.

The high pressure system self explanatory delivers fuel at very high pressure from the injector pump and in a controlled way to the injectors.

Did you think about modifying the low pressure to a circulating system. ?

Many thanks.

Is this a very old 3 cylinder engine - or was that the P3?

If it is the old one then I think it has an inline injector pump, otherwise it may be inline or may be DPA.

Follow the injector pipes back from the injectors and they will take you to the pump. If it is faintly cylindrical in shape it is a rotary or DPA. A rotary will probably bleed itself (low pressure) but a DPA needs bleeding. Look about half way along the cylindrical section and a little over half way up it and you should see (on one side or the other) a small 8mm hexagon screw stuck out of a larger "nut". This si the bleed point.

If the pump is faintly oblong with the pipes in a line it is an is pump. The pipes are usually fitted to a slight;y raised rectangular section with some form of screw or bolt in the side, often at an angle to the vertical. This may again be a smaller screw in a larger "nut" type thing or it may be straight into the pump and sealed with a copper washer.

There are small pictograms of the three pump types on my website on the fuel system diagrams.