Rochdale Basin

dmr

Featured Posts

According to Facebook the developers have started to dig up and destroy the old filled in canal basins in Rochdale to build a commuter housing estate. There has been a long campaign, though mostly by one man, to save the basin and make it the centrepiece of a canalside development with shops, pubs , housing and moorings. It looks like this oppurtunuty is now lost forever.

My own view is that it would be quite difficult to build anything that would temp boaters into Rochdale, but maybe people said the same about Birmingham/Chester/Liverpool. Sad to see canal history destroyed.

Just now, Goliath said:

Then we need boats to get to the basin and squat. 
Any boaters willing?

Its beyond that little side arm just below the lock. The basin itself has been filled in for many years, possibly including some old boats, but is said to be mostly intact so could have been restored.

8 hours ago, dmr said:

According to Facebook the developers have started to dig up and destroy the old filled in canal basins in Rochdale to build a commuter housing estate. There has been a long campaign, though mostly by one man, to save the basin and make it the centrepiece of a canalside development with shops, pubs , housing and moorings. It looks like this oppurtunuty is now lost forever.

My own view is that it would be quite difficult to build anything that would temp boaters into Rochdale, but maybe people said the same about Birmingham/Chester/Liverpool. Sad to see canal history destroyed.

The guy is called Steven Parker. I met him earlier this year and he's passionate about the canals. He's fighting pretty much a lone battle I fear. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/292292365495536/

Rochdale has a reputation for being 'scruffy', justifiably, but any development hereabouts appears to focus on revenue (council tax). I'm afraid history and heritage is rarely part of the equation.

The centre of town is really quite smart these days, an ongoing programme, but this canal basin, If I've got the right place, is still a business / industrial area predominantly. Of course it is, it built up round the canal basin. It's a brownfield site - just what the developers are after.

11 hours ago, dmr said:

Its beyond that little side arm just below the lock. The basin itself has been filled in for many years, possibly including some old boats, but is said to be mostly intact so could have been restored.

Isn't there built development between the canal and the basin though? It's not as simple as just extending the branch