Beta Marine engine id

Morris

Featured Posts

9 hours ago, Morris said:

I'm sure I read on here about there being 'short' engines that had the splined end cut off, but that this wasn't necessarily the case for all of them. My understanding is that, as Chevron has said, engines like yours have the woodruff key arrangement but have the splined shaft intact and the point of the kit in his pic is to convert the pulley so that the splines take the load.  

Personally I do not think Beta have changed the crankshaft from woodruff key to splined shaft. If you look on the beta marine website the picture of the beta marine 43 engine on the data sheet which shows the front pulley seems to show a splined support similar to the one I have posted a picture of. It would be nice if someone who has contact with someone at beta marine could confirm if the new engines have a woodruff key. 

Edited by chevron

2 minutes ago, chevron said:

Personally I do not think Beta have changed the crankshaft from woodruff key to splined shaft. If you look on the beta marine website the picture of the beta marine 43 engine which shows the front pulley seems to show a splined support similar to the one I have posted a picture of. It would be nice if someone who has contact with someone at beta marine could confirm if the new engines have a woodruff key. 

Yes it is interesting because Nick Norman said his engine was from 2010 the pulley in his pic doesn't seem to be taking the drive from the splines, unless the splined end is longer than midnight's example?

This has no bearing on my life (the boat in the initial post became available again but we didn't like it as much as another boat with a vetus engine, and anyway it had a 38 not a 43) but I'm still interested to know!

32 minutes ago, Morris said:

I believe the Beta engines are fantastic engines all manufactured engines could have problems when too much load is put on the pulley. There must be loads of Betas out there which have been fine with no problems beta have done many different set ups. But my opinion for the sake of little money if you have the splined shaft why take a chance fit the support and forget about it if running large alternators or AC motors.

Yes it is interesting because Nick Norman said his engine was from 2010 the pulley in his pic doesn't seem to be taking the drive from the splines, unless the splined end is longer than midnight's example?

This has no bearing on my life (the boat in the initial post became available again but we didn't like it as much as another boat with a vetus engine, and anyway it had a 38 not a 43) but I'm still interested to know!