Sign writing question

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, dave moore said:

I suggest that you approach Wrights of Lymm. I’d get 2 brushes, a size 5 and a 3. Their 1315 series is a long sable chisel, their 1310 series is a slightly shorter version. I prefer the longer version but that’s just me!

Cheers I have done what you suggest 👍

I also like buying from Jackson’s Art Supplies, so got me eye on a couple of brushes from there too. 

I have to be very careful when shopping on sites that supply art equipment, so easy to spend money quickly on some very nice stuff. 

I'm no sign writing pro, but I do like arty things. Some advice I'd give:

• buy good, soft, brushes (flats and points of various sizes). Skimp on these and you'll get crap results (streaks, etc.)
  • paint needs to be oil based. I'd say go with enamel. Gloss might do.
  • use a disposable plastic plate/tray as a palette. Ditch it when done. Don't use paper as the paint will soak into it.
  • mark up the letters with soft chalk/pencil. Even masking tape if you can. OR:
  • write up the wording on computer and print it out on several sheets of paper. Tape the sheets together to get it full size. Put chalk/graphite on the back of the sheets. Masking tape it to the surface. Gently draw around the design and the chalk/graphite should transfer to the surface. Or you can use transfer paper behind the sheets.
  • don't think of the letter itself, think of it as shapes (lines, curves). It sounds daft, I know, but it helps when you're a lefty (like me) and going right to left.
  • keep a rag with turps on it at hand to mop up mistakes
  • make/buy a mahl stick to steady your hand on.

2 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

don't think of the letter itself, think of it as shapes (lines, curves). It sounds daft, I know, but it helps when you're a lefty (like me) and going right to left.

👍 that’s exactly how I think of it too, and with a rhythm to drawing/painting the lines. 
I’m practising drawing/painting with the right hand til it feels natural. 

Thanks for the other tips

much appreciated 👍

2 minutes ago, Goliath said:

👍 that’s exactly how I think of it too, and with a rhythm to drawing/painting the lines. 
I’m practising drawing/painting with the right hand til it feels natural. 

Thanks for the other tips

much appreciated 👍

If you're a natural lefty then go with your left. Some of the best calligraphers in the world are lefties. Using a mahl stick will keep your hand above the paintwork.

36 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

If you're a natural lefty then go with your left. Some of the best calligraphers in the world are lefties. Using a mahl stick will keep your hand above the paintwork.

I think it’ll be a combination of the two in the end. 
I repainted my hatches again recently and I find left hand is good for an inside curve one way and right hand for a curve the other way. 
Very simple block shapes mind, a heart on one and a shape on the other which I have no idea what it’s called but sure it has a name. With simple borders. 

I think I’ll make a Mahl stick. 
It’s the sort of thing that would cost a pretty penny from a supplier, when I can make one for nowt. 

Edited by Goliath

23 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I think it’ll be a combination of the two in the end. 
I repainted my hatches again recently and I find left hand is good for an inside curve one way and right hand for a curve the other way. 
Very simple block shapes mind, a heart on one and a shape on the other which I have no idea what it’s called but sure it has a name. With simple borders. 

I think I’ll make a Mahl stick. 
It’s the sort of thing that would cost a pretty penny from a supplier, when I can make one for nowt. 

Yeah a mahl stick is just a stick with a bit of cork on the end with the cork covered in a bit of leather. Easy to make.

• Happy 1

6 hours ago, ronnietucker said:

• keep a rag with turps on it at hand to mop up mistakes
  •  

In addition, I find cotton buds soaked in turps, handy for tiny mistakes.

I use these when building model narrow boats.

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

On 01/09/2022 at 14:07, dave moore said:

I suggest that you approach Wrights of Lymm. I’d get 2 brushes, a size 5 and a 3. Their 1315 series is a long sable chisel, their 1310 series is a slightly shorter version. I prefer the longer version but that’s just me!

The brushes arrived so I’ve been having a dabble. I’ve simply used Johnstone’s gloss on roughly primed plywood. 
I’m off to a start but lots more experiments and practise ahead. 
4B768239-18D0-48A4-807A-856DC5085B83.jpeg.ee575658dadf4d3c9d59ddca09a91e0e.jpeg

and although I’m still working it out, I’ve posted a picture to give you an idea of what I think I’m after. Something close to the bottom of the two above maybe. 
Any advise on improving font would be great. 😃 I can’t help but see the ‘e’ has perhaps become more of an ‘o’. ?

And I need to sort out the ‘fat’ and ‘thin’ of line. 

The brushes are lovely, it’ll take awhile to get some of the knack needed to use them. There’s plenty of rainy days ahead to practise. 😃

Cheers.