Jotun 2 pack

Featured Posts

Hello

I have recently painted the side of my widebeam whilst in the water and want to paint the black strake and slightly below to the waterline to make it all look neater.

I know from the boat's builders manual this was originally painted with Jotun 2 pack epoxy black and wish to use the same.

However when I search for this online there is an array of Jotun paints and unsure which is the correct one. Can anyone send me a link.

Thanks

35 minutes ago, _Catherine_ said:

Hello

I have recently painted the side of my widebeam whilst in the water and want to paint the black strake and slightly below to the waterline to make it all look neater.

I know from the boat's builders manual this was originally painted with Jotun 2 pack epoxy black and wish to use the same.

However when I search for this online there is an array of Jotun paints and unsure which is the correct one. Can anyone send me a link.

Thanks

There are several two packs blacking.

I used Jotamastic 90,  could well be compatible, but it's not a great idea just to slap it on top of a potentially dirty greasy  surface.

I asked SML for advice, I don't think they will have been asked about blacking in water!

Google jotamastic, and arrange for a haul out if the waterline is rusty. Power wash, wire brush where required, dry, overcoat, three coats are recommended from scratch.

Painting or coating steel is done to prevent corrosion. But I agree it will look better, some of these products grey off, mine is still black after two years

You might need to replace the anodes and check all is well. If you have a bow thruster make sure the tube is sound, free of rust, before you black, three coats.

Edited by LadyG

Are you coming out of the water to do this? If not I'm just wondering how you plan to paint below the waterline?  It's quite difficult to get a widebeam to list. You'll need a lot of weight on one side. 

Jotamastic 87 and 90 are compatible and will stick to each other but you must key the existing surface well. On the other hand it may have been Jotun Hardtop that was used. When was it originally painted and if it was more than a few months ago has the black turned grey? If it's gone grey it's 87 or 90. If it's still jet black it's Hardtop. 

Have you used epoxy paints before? You must read the technical data sheets for the products. 

Edited by blackrose

25 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Are you coming out of the water to do this? If not I'm just wondering how you plan to paint below the waterline?  It's quite difficult to get a widebeam to list. You'll need a lot of weight on one side. 

Or strap the boat down to the marina pontoons of course. It's not ideal.

If you go boating then painting the rubbing strakes (also called guard irons or D sections) is a bit of a waste of time and paint. If you are a static boat then its maybe ok.

If you are a boating boat and still want to paint the strakes (and it does look good for a while, I sometimes do mine) then just use any single pack black paint and slap it on with only token preparation......repeat often.

Note what has been said above, its its Joton 87/90 then it will turn grey over time so the new stuff will not match.

How about doing it in Joton now, especially if you have some damage below the strake, then just patch up with single pack in future???   I am currently using some Craftmaster black undercoat that I got in a chandlery sale.

I want to paint the strake which is above the waterline and slightly below the strake which is also above the waterline!

Sorry that was repeated. Not quite got the hang of this forum. I am a static liveaboard and as I have painted all my side panels and gunnels just want it to look neat and tidy black from waterline to strake. It has gone grayish so thanks for that tip. I am likely to sell her before she is due out of the water.

Thanks all

Hello Just to let you know the boat from the Upper strake down to the water line on the starboard and aft is now painted  wholst in the water and the boat did not nedd tipping on its side as suggested!!!!!!!. SmL paints were very helpful and it is painted in 2 pack epoxy black gloss, maintaining the two pack Jotun that was already on there .