How much should I be looking to spend on a narrowboat?

Heather22

Featured Posts

43 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Maybe you missed this line of my post :

"Living in a boat is no cheaper than living in a house - it is just a different way of living and spending your money"

Or, are you saying that living in London IS cheaper than living on a boat ?

I think Mr Noviceboata is saying one can easily live on a boat in London for a lot less than the £1200 a month it costs to rent an apartment. Especially if one is CCing.

But you knew that really and were just being awkward (again), probably...

1 hour ago, MtB said:

I think Mr Noviceboata is saying one can easily live on a boat in London for a lot less than the £1200 a month it costs to rent an apartment. Especially if one is CCing.

But you knew that really and were just being awkward (again), probably...

Alan? Being awkward? You must be mistaken???

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Alan? Being awkward? You must be mistaken???

Yep. I've DEFINITELY seen him being awkward by deliberately misconstruing what people wrote... at least once.

Or mebbe it was 3,000 times, I'm not sure. 

• Love 1
  • Happy 1

In London, if you buy a 30 year old boat and something goes wrong and you aren’t able to fix it, the waiting list for electricians/engineers is around 3-6 months at the moment. The cost is also significant if you need to call someone to fix every little thing…

I cc from Rickmansworth-Brentford-Limehouse-Stort, following work, (and spend August on the upper Thames), it’s certainly cheaper than renting. However, I do fix everything apart from gas myself, I’ve got a feeling it would be the same if not more expensive. 

(and I’ve got a 30 year old Liverpool boat which has been perfect for gas and no more troublesome than similar aged boats. One of the good ones?)

Edited by cheesegas

17 hours ago, cheesegas said:

In London, if you buy a 30 year old boat and something goes wrong and you aren’t able to fix it, the waiting list for electricians/engineers is around 3-6 months at the moment. The cost is also significant if you need to call someone to fix every little thing…

I cc from Rickmansworth-Brentford-Limehouse-Stort, following work, (and spend August on the upper Thames), it’s certainly cheaper than renting. However, I do fix everything apart from gas myself, I’ve got a feeling it would be the same if not more expensive. 

(and I’ve got a 30 year old Liverpool boat which has been perfect for gas and no more troublesome than similar aged boats. One of the good ones?)

Being a landlord of several properties and having pretty much every tool you can think of Im not too worried about this. And yes, I am the same as you, would fix everything apart from gas. I couldn't even imagine somebody living on a boat who was not some sort of handyman, the costs would definitely outweigh the benefits. Anyway, thanks for the info.