Bsd333 ford fsd

Dazo1984

Featured Posts

Hi a few guys on here have pointed me in the direction of removing my ford bsd333

i have a transit engine (fsd ) 60hp

i want to use my gearbox which is 3.1

( is this ratio to low? )

the prop is 24inch 3 blade ( Carnt remember the pitch) but I don’t want to change the prop.

also does anyone have the adapter housing to fit the prm to the ford fsd.

it’s a 12ft by 57ft at 32 ton,

any help would be great 

22 minutes ago, Dazo1984 said:

any help would be great 

You might be able to bodge it up, or you might not - but - these guys are experts on marinising Ford engines, and are easy to talk to,

DIY Marinisation guide (lancingmarine.com)

Ford engines page 6 & 7. Page 6 covers the FSD engine - firther in the book are all the parts you need to fit it.

Flipbook (lancingmarine.com)

What sort of boat is it ?

What age is the boat ?

I'd have thought that the FSD would be too high reving and too many 'horses' for a canal boat.

What sort of cooling does the current engine have ?

What cooling system do you propose for the FSD engine.

(I have 2x marinised Ford 2725E engines - 6.2 litre 6 cylinder - in one of my boats. Ford are good but noisy engines)

THE MAXIMUM PROP SIZE FOR THE "FSD" ENGINE IS

19" with a 2:1 gearbox or

23" with a 3:1 gearbox, or

15" with a 1.5:1 gearbox,

Your 24" prop is a bit big, even without consdiering the pitch.

Are you suitably experienced to do the work ?

Have you checked the actual dimensions of the new engine to see if it will fit ?

Have you checked the engine bearers are the correct spacing ?

It is often much easier to replace an engine like with like.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Here is a Google result for a Ford BSD 333 engine:

The Ford BSD 333 New Holland Base Engine was originally designed by New Holland Tractor for agricultural service in their tractors, hay balers, skid loaders ...

So it sounds as if you may have misidentified the engine you have so unless you get a correct identification there is not much more to say. How about posting a photo  of your engine so we stand a chance of identifying it for you.

12 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You might be able to bodge it up, or you might not - but - these guys are experts on marinising Ford engines, and are easy to talk to,

Ford engines page 6 & 7. Page 6 covers the FSD engine - firther in the book are all the parts you need to fit it.

What age is the boat ?

I'd have thought that the FSD would be too high reving and too many 'horses' for a canal boat.

(I have 2x marinised Ford 2725E engines - 6.2 litre 6 cylinder - in one of my boats. Ford are good but noisy engines)

I've very good mechanically,

Engine conversions in cars / lorrys are more my thing,  I could easily install the fsd.

I have to watch my budget, I have put a lot of money into boat.  So I thought the fsd engine would be good and I can fix them,

And there cheap. But reliable.

It has a wheelhouse so I want something smoother 

28 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

What age is the boat ?

It's on the bridge water canal. And it's a 1994 boat.  I don't know of any other engines that I could use

4 minutes ago, Dazo1984 said:

It's on the bridge water canal. And it's a 1994 boat.  I don't know of any other engines that I could use

Ok, I'm not saying you cannot use the FSD, just that you need to check that it will physically fit in the existing 'engine hole', fit onto the existing engine mounts / bearers, that you can connect a marinised water cooling kit / heat exchanger , that you can fit the exhaust and that the wiring is compatible.

Try to start cutting out structural things like engine bearers can get very messy and VERY expensive - what is wrong with the BSD engine ?

It'd probably work out much cheaper, and certainly quicker and a lot easier to rebuild the BSD, or source another BSD.

It sounds as if you could do a lot of the work yourself so it could be possible, if it will fit onto the bearers.

14 minutes ago, Dazo1984 said:

I need to check.the measurements tomorrow 

The engines are just a noisy engine and because it's in a wheel house it's deafening. I'll check the width of the bearers tomorrow as well .

My Fords are pretty noisy as well even under the floor.

Engine Room Small Size.jpg

5 minutes ago, Dazo1984 said:

They are big engines too, my head is battered  😩😂 I can't decide on what to do.

2x straight 6's and 6.2 litres.

At cruising speed of around 6 knots they use 5 litres per engine per hour

I have 2800 litre fuel tank which I wouldn't like to have to fill from empty in 'these times'.

Just measure up, if it fits, it fits and you can do some jiggery pokery to get it fitted.

If it doesn't fit sell the FSD and repair the old engine.

9 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If it doesn't fit sell the FSD and repair the old engine.

That rather supposes there is anything wrong with the present engine. I am no convinced changing it to solid mounts and getting the shaft alignment correct would not make  a huge difference to the vibrations and noise.  Unless a knowledgeable member hears the noise and gives an opinion it could easily be diesel knock. If so an injector overhaul may well help.

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

That rather supposes there is anything wrong with the present engine. I am no convinced changing it to solid mounts and getting the shaft alignment correct would not make  a huge difference to the vibrations and noise.  Unless a knowledgeable member hears the noise and gives an opinion it could easily be diesel knock. If so an injector overhaul may well help.

Good point - although having already asked the OP what the problem is with the 'old' engine and getting no reply, I made an assumption that it is poorly.

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Good point - although having already asked the OP what the problem is with the 'old' engine and getting no reply, I made an assumption that it is poorly.

I don't think he knows. All he seems to know is that he thinks it is noisy and suffers excess vibration. What he is comparing it with we have no idea. We don't know if it is  a new boat to him, and we have no idea of his experience in this area. There may be nothing wrong with it, or it could be running its big ends, we have no way of knowing.

Edited by Tony Brooks

Just now, Dazo1984 said:

I do have a massive understanding of how engines work. What there noises are,  this engine is not designed for a pleasure craft / canal boat.

Ok, but neither is the Transit engine.

If you speak with Lancing marine (details earlier in the thread) they will give you lots of help in quietening and reducing vibration.

Knowledge of engines in marine installations is VERY different to a tractor, truck or bus installation and there is a big learning curve to making them work in a boat.

Good luck

Your noise problem might be more to do with the boat. I had a small wheelhouse with the engine under and it was quite noisey in the wheelhouse even with carpet etc. Outside on deck the engine was almost inaudable. have you tried running with the wheelhouse off the boat?