Hiring Trad Stern

Dyad

Featured Posts

Hi. We, like alot of peeps, are putting our toe in the water and trying out boating. We hired a 49ft cruiser stern in March this year, it rained, it hailed, it snowed, the boat was blown onto the bank afew times (well I'm blaming the wind anyway) but we loved every minute of it. Now we know we like it and more importantly the dogs like it, we want to try a trad stern and one with a multi fuel stove as this is what we want as a liveaboard (oh no not another wanabe). Any ideas who to seek regarding hiring such a vessel? Many Thanks. Kev

Hi. We, like alot of peeps, are putting our toe in the water and trying out boating. We hired a 49ft cruiser stern in March this year, it rained, it hailed, it snowed, the boat was blown onto the bank afew times (well I'm blaming the wind anyway) but we loved every minute of it. Now we know we like it and more importantly the dogs like it, we want to try a trad stern and one with a multi fuel stove as this is what we want as a liveaboard (oh no not another wanabe). Any ideas who to seek regarding hiring such a vessel? Many Thanks. Kev

Hi Kev

Challengers Super Tug "Spirit of Georgia" is a fine vessal.

I had the pleasure of taking her out for a week, a couple of months ago, she is a delight to handle and stays where you put her. She is not as fast as some modern boats, but who needs speed when your listening to that old engine!

But be warned Kev, she is a bit deeper drafted than most, so beware of going up the Llangollen.

Have fun

Nipper

Just picked up this thread - 2 other companies with trad boats are Middlwich Narrowbaots and Union Canal Carriers.

The Middlewich boats are very comfortable - in my years of hring the best boat we ever had was Willow, its a little Woolwich style hull by Ivybridge and swims like a fish. UCC have got three Barney boats which are great at this time of year.

Just picked up this thread - 2 other companies with trad boats are Middlwich Narrowbaots and Union Canal Carriers.

The Middlewich boats are very comfortable - in my years of hring the best boat we ever had was Willow, its a little Woolwich style hull by Ivybridge and swims like a fish. UCC have got three Barney boats which are great at this time of year.

Yeah - we had Willow at New Year a few years ago - brilliant. There's also Holly, of recent nicking fame, if you're less than 5' 8" for the back cabin and don't mind all your gear smelling of diesel. :(

SteveE

• 3 weeks later...

My vote would go to Middlewick, I had several holidays with them many years ago.

One year the wife and I hired the camping boat they used to operate, the canvas cover hold usually used for bunk beds, was not wasted as we collected a new gate for the boat yard from Beeston Market during our trip.

fond memories.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the all the info and advice.

Just booked Willow for March, really wanted to be on the Llangollen for my 40th in Feb but it's closed till March, so out of the two options

- on the boat on my birthday but not on the Llangollen or

- on the Llangollen but not on my birthday, I choose the later.

So you better all stay clear as it's one of those blinking newbie hirers out on the cut again. :lol:

Kev

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi Kev

I look forward to seeing you. Willow is looking good for you and she is looking forward to traveling the Llanggollen once again

Hi

Thank you for such a warm welcome. :smiley_offtopic:

I too am looking forward to seeing you, (if the truth be known I'm as excited as a 6 year old on xmas eve). :)

Kev

Edited by Dyad