Poynting Antenna Connections

philjw

Featured Posts

I've bitten the bullet and bought the Poynting antenna and Huawei router which has been recommend on here.  It came with 5m cables. If I want to permanently fix the antenna it would mean cutting off the existing connections, shortening the cables and replacing the connections with new.  Can anybody tell me what the connections are called and is it possible to fit them with no special kit?  Where would be the best place to source the replacement fittings?  Might it be possible to wire the router to a socket that the aerial could plug into?

One other question, does it matter which way round the antenna cables are fitted to the router?  I've experimented little and can't see a difference in performance.

Thanks

Phil

• Happy 1

They’re called SMA connectors. I think they are all solder/crimp connections, although you might find screw type versions like you get on satellite connectors. You can get them on ebay, amazon etc. Shortening them will actually improve the performance of the antenna as there is quite a drop in gain for every metre of cable you have. 

I don’t think it matters what way around they are plugged in…one aerial is horizontal and the other is vertical polarisation, and the router just uses the one with best signal at the time.    

Edited by booke23
  • Happy 1

One of the Poynting's leads deals with vertically polarised signals, the other deals with horizontal polarisation. If you get into the Huewai router's admin console via your web browser, you'll eventually see a way to set what each connection at the back does. Definitely don't have it set to "internal" aerial. I found it easiest to have it on "auto", which I believe is the default.

• Happy 1

If there is any other possible way of doing it don't cut the cables and remake the ends if it can possibly be avoided.

Because of the frequency that 4g is on its all to easy to introduce losses and thus signal degradation  if you don't get the connectors 100% right.

I fed mine in through a mushroom vent and across the ceiling  rather than remake the ends.

I spent a good part of my life fitting RF connectors so am capable of doing it properly but decided not to since I no longer have the proper crimp tool☹️

• Happy 1