Solar panel choice.

fudd

Featured Posts

Good afternoon. I want to install a solar panel. I only want 1 and I’ve got space 1500 x 750 on my roof. Any recommendations of make and type please. I only really need it to trickle charge my batteries but if there’s any left over I’ll grab it. Thanks. 

That space is big enough for about a 110 W panel.  Monocrystalline, rigid panels are usually the best choice. Flexible ones tend not to last long on a narrowboat roof.  The panels are almost certainly going to be made in Asia.

Pick a good genuine MPPT solar controller, by epever/Tracer or Victron as examples.

Lots of sorts of mounting bracket out there.  Depends what you need. The bonded ones avoid drilling holes. Bolted ones can be more secure.

Bimble Solar are well regarded by many.  I have had decent service from Sunshine Solar.   Go to someone who is about boats/vans/caravans rather than houses.

Don't forget you will need  fuses/circuit breakers, cable entry widgets and appropriate switchery.

N

6 minutes ago, fudd said:

Thank you. 

1500x750mm is a bit of an awkward size, there aren't many panels available which will fit and they're more expensive -- see here...

https://www.bimblesolar.com/panelcompare?sort=price_per_watt

The 175W Victron panel (1485x668mm) is probably your best bet at £115+VAT.

If you could get a 1500x1000mm panel in, the 295W Perlight one is £118+VAT and is more efficient.

33 minutes ago, IanD said:

1500x750mm is a bit of an awkward size, there aren't many panels available which will fit and they're more expensive -- see here...

https://www.bimblesolar.com/panelcompare?sort=price_per_watt

The 175W Victron panel (1485x668mm) is probably your best bet at £115+VAT.

If you could get a 1500x1000mm panel in, the 295W Perlight one is £118+VAT and is more efficient.

I could get a wider panel but I want it in front of my rear sliding hatch. If I go any wider then it would foul my centre lines.