At Long Last!

cp140405

Featured Posts

We started planning a 3 week hire out of Chirk in the late summer of 2019. It was scheduled for June of 2020 and has since been pushed back twice to this coming June.

It looks like it will go ahead this time (YAY!) but I am now a little perplexed.

We planned (and still do) to do the four counties ring out of Chirk. Clockwise or counterclockwise is still to be decided, but here's where my head scratching comes in.

One of my sets of notes has a big "NO-FESTIVAL" scrawled over it. I seem to recall that our cruise would run into/pass through a festival somewhere along the route so one direction or the other would avoid congestion.

Now I can't find any festivals or events on the four counties ring in June of this year.

Am I just not finding the site with the info or was I hallucinating in 2019/2020 before COVID? 

9 hours ago, Rob-M said:

16-19 June, Middlewich Folk Festival I expect. https://www.middlewichfabfestival.co.uk/

4-5 June, Etruria Festival. https://etruriacanalsfestival.org.uk/

Thank you! Apparently Mr. Google likes you better than he likes me, because I wasn't having any luck finding that info.

The Middlewich event is the complicating factor for us, so CW it is!

Again, thank you for the info!

No reason why a festival should affect your plans. There are always plenty of non-participating boats moving through festival sites.

If anything you might be more affected in the days before or after an event when the boats taking part are arriving or departing.

Edited by David Mack

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

No reason why a festival should affect your plans. There are always plenty of non-participating boats moving through festival sites.

If anything you might be more affected in the days before or after an event when the boats taking part are arriving or departing.

I just want to try to avoid as much congestion and traffic as we can. I realize there will a good deal of traffic in June anyway, but if I can avoid it I'll certainly try.

14 minutes ago, booke23 said:

Don't forget to leave a bit of extra time at the start/end of your trip to go over the Pontcysyllte aqueduct. It would be rude not to as you are hiring from Chirk! 

Oh yes! That is definitely on the agenda! We're going to be in the Chirk area for a few days before we get on the boat and are hoping to get some good photos it before trying it ourselves.