Researching Lewis Keith Clayton

mogsey5

Featured Posts

We are looking for information about Lewis K Clayton when he owned my friends motor yacht 'Estrellita', Lewis had her berthed in Poole during the war and she was sailed from Poole to Dover in 1941 to take part in Operation Dynamo to rescue troops from the beaches of Dunkirk, we are trying to find out if it was Lewis who actually captained her on that trip?

When Estrellita returned to Poole the Royal Navy Commandeered her and Paid Lewis £12.10 for the duration of the war, they painted her grey and installed an AA gun on her bow, she was used as a harbour patrol boat in Poole for the duration of WW2.

My friend Tony Billson found her close to sinking in Ramsgate harbour some 6 years ago so bought her as a project and put her on a low loader to a boatyard on the broads near Oulton where he spent 5 years lovingly restoring her to her former glory. His brother in law Michael (Jack) Hawkins (BEM) works as a volunteer onboard HMS Warrior in Portsmouth and did a lot of research on her history, and what a history she has, she is now registered as a National Historic Ship at Fleet level along with HMS Victory, The Mary Rose, HMS Warrior etc. plus is on the Little ships club list in London.

The three of us are taking her out to sea on May 18th and sailing to Plymouth calling in many ports on the south cost in the process we will be raising money for SSAFA and Norwich University Hospitals Buxton Children's Ward. We have a just giving page called Estrallita1934 set up ready for when we sail.

If anyone can help us with our research of Lewis K Clayton it would be most appreciated.

Tonys five year restoration from start to finish can be seen on Facebook page 'Rakes Retreat now Estrallita a Dunkirk Little Ship' he's done a fantastic job.

LeavigRamsgate5.jpg

FB_IMG_1630148909084.jpg

Edited by mogsey5
misspelling

Now thats a PROPER boat. We had a double diagonal teak on oak and iroko frames, we moored in Victoria dock Gloucester for a while. I bought it in immaculate condition from Brooms yard, built in 1939. Didnt own it long as I realised the upkeep was going to be a full time job and bought another narrowboat. :o

On 19/03/2022 at 14:00, mogsey5 said:

what a history she has, she is now registered as a National Historic Ship at Fleet level along with HMS Victory, The Mary Rose, HMS Warrior etc. plus is on the Little ships club list in London.

FB_IMG_1630148909084.jpg

Absolutely beautiful boat, and lovely picture with another "Little ship" that went to Dunkirk behind, an historic ship too- The Medway Queen  I believe? 

Where was the photo taken from? Im sorry I cant help. 

The photos were taken by our friend Mark Sandford, who lives in Ramsgate, on 21/08/2021 when we were leaving Ramsgate to sail home to Lowestoft via Shotley Marina in Felixstowe. He was up on the harbour wall by the Marina entrance. Medway Queen was on the slipway for maintenance and repainted.