Nest 3rd Generation

Featured Posts

Hi All

I am considering fitting a 3rd Generation nest Thermostat to my Webasto Thermo Top C. I only want it to turn Unit on when away from boat, has anyone already done this and how do you find it. Anyone use any other wifi to control hot heater units. Thanks Dave

Edited by Dave .Morialta

There was a recent topic discussing just this. First item in a search. Not a how too, but the subject was raised and how to splice in to the Webasto wiring loom to give it a run signal.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

The main problem I've found with internet-based controllers on a boat it persuading the wifi to stay permanently on, and not shut down when it realises hours have passed with no data being transferred. 

Both my Voda and my Three Huawei MiFis used to stay on happily for several weeks before sleeping but nowadays they sleep after just a few hours despite being plugged into the boat power supply. My guess is the ISP have changed the parameters but the net result is I can no longer access my heating from the phone once I've been away from the boat more than a few hours.

Hi

From what I have read that seems to be an issue with router however I would be interested in any other opinions, I have read the early topic as mentioned and i am now more confused, the Nest 3rd generation does not require 240v it will work on 12v DC, also from what I have read the garage door controller relay requires 240v on the relay, I maybe wrong so open to any advise.

I use a txt message based system, simple doesnt require the interweb and runs in low signal areas. Works from 12v ;)

Its based on a remote gate opener uses 2g so is safe for a while (3g is being shut down) and will work where there is no 4g signal.

My original system was 230v but i modified it to run from 12v by adding a positive and negative wire on the rectifier secondary.

I have replaced it with a newer system designed for 12v that send me tc=xt message about battery state, temperature  etc.

2 minutes ago, Loddon said:

I use a txt message based system, simple doesnt require the interweb and runs in low signal areas. Works from 12v ;)

Its based on a remote gate opener uses 2g so is safe for a while (3g is being shut down) and will work where there is no 4g signal.

Getting the gate opener to receive a text directly might be a problem for me with an all-porthole boat, unless I extend some wiring and hang it in a porthole, I suspect. Then I'll need to choose the same side of the boat as the mast....

33 minutes ago, MtB said:

Getting the gate opener to receive a text directly might be a problem for me with an all-porthole boat, unless I extend some wiring and hang it in a porthole, I suspect. Then I'll need to choose the same side of the boat as the mast....

External antenna on the roof works a treat ;)

35 minutes ago, Dave .Morialta said:

Hi

Do you have the details of the unit please.

Thanks Dave

This will work

https://gsm-activate.co.uk/product/gsm-smart-switch-mini-eco-range/

Edited by Loddon

12 minutes ago, Dave .Morialta said:

Hi, this maybe me being stupid but its says 240vAC and the callsare made at a specified time, is that right.

Its thevrelay that is rated to 230v not sure how long the timer ison that I will look for another one that will work that one was the first one I found.

14 minutes ago, MtB said:

Thanks!

I guess the next issue is finding a sim card that will stay alive for months on end without setting up a direct debit....? 

Giffgaff will work on payg you need to dig throgh the blurb on their site to find it.

19 minutes ago, Dave .Morialta said:

Hi

Thanks for that it looks perfect. I am assuming to get a switch 12v output I just need to attach the Normally open to the signal wire of webasto unit so when activated 12v is applied to webasto wire.

Effectively yes 

You will need to check the wiring on the Webby to get the correct one.