Voyager 4500 Gas Cooker hob stopped working - Any ideas

StayingAfloat

Featured Posts

I have a Voyager 4500 Marine Gas Cooker, which was on the boat when I bought it several months ago. Suddenly the larger hob burner has stopped working properly, only producing a tiny flame and not staying on. This happened from one day to the next and was similar to when I've run out of gas, but I haven't. Everything else is running fine. 

It's clean, and none of the holes are blocked, it's not damp, I haven't spilled anything on it. The flame is blue, not yellow so I don't think it's a leak. There's no smell of gas. It's been like this for a couple of weeks now.

I haven't been able to take off the ring as the screw is worn, so the previous owner has obviously had a problem with it at some point. It'd been working fine for me until now, though I've always had to keep the knob for this ring pushed in for a several seconds or it goes out again. 

I have unbolted the whole stove top and everything seems to be connected as far as I could tell. 

Does anyone know what could be the cause? And what I could do? Are there replacement gas rings for these?

Thanks

Do other burners work OK? 

If so then given what you say about taking a while to keep it going then that sounds like the flame failure device (thermocouple) might have failed or be failing.  Or could be a blocked jet under the bit you can't get off ? 

7 minutes ago, David Mack said:

If its working but with only a tiny flame, and that flame is blue, that suggests not enough gas is getting through. Most probably some dirt in the jet, but could also perhaps be a fault with the valve.

I'd agree with this. Almost certainly some crud (technical term), loose in the gas pipe leading up to the jet and partially blocking it. 

If you have the inclination and the ability, dismantle the hob, remove the gas jet and turn the ring control valve ON to blast any debris out of the pipework. clean the jet and re-fit it. Job done.