Thames Tideway

Scholar Gypsy

Featured Posts

The inner pontoon steps are broken at the top. Not sure what they are going to do about that and whether they are obliged to offer waiting pontoons anyway. They do move around a lot so not surprising that things get broken..

Not that one really wants to be in a position to need to use either of those waiting pontoons. Very uncomfortable there. 

Fine when it's low tide but as soon as water gets under the boat it's completely crazy down there and you are not allowed to leave boat unattended (for good reason!)

A few years ago I had to use the outer pontoon and wait for the lock. 30 tonne barge I tied with 4 ropes 18mm diameter to the large mooring cleats and even well strapped in the boat was all over the place. There is a warning sign about using the big cleats. I reckon the small ones would have been ripped out quickly. 

Edited by magnetman
  • Greenie 1

31 minutes ago, magnetman said:

The inner pontoon steps are broken at the top. Not sure what they are going to do about that and whether they are obliged to offer waiting pontoons anyway. They do move around a lot so not surprising that things get broken..

Not that one really wants to be in a position to need to use either of those waiting pontoons. Very uncomfortable there. 

Fine when it's low tide but as soon as water gets under the boat it's completely crazy down there and you are not allowed to leave boat unattended (for good reason!)

A few years ago I had to use the outer pontoon and wait for the lock. 30 tonne barge I tied with 4 ropes 18mm diameter to the large mooring cleats and even well strapped in the boat was all over the place. There is a warning sign about using the big cleats. I reckon the small ones would have been ripped out quickly. 

I agree - rather safer just to go round in circles on the tideway, in my opinion.  I believe the inner pontoon was recovered and is currently in the basin.

I'm going that way by foot in a short while. Must say I thought that pontoon in the basin was one of the ones previously up near Tesco at Bromley by bow but does makes sense it's the one from below the lock. 

I often go around the marina on dinghy but slightly less often actually walk past the lock. Will check this. 

• Greenie 1

Just now, magnetman said:

I'm going that way by foot in a short while. Must say I thought that pontoon in the basin was one of the ones previously up near Tesco at Bromley by bow but does makes sense it's the one from below the lock. 

I often go around the marina on dinghy but slightly less often actually walk past the lock. Will check this. 

Thanks - I am relying on second hand information (but from a reliable boater!).  I hope to be there in a couple of weeks, on the way back from West India Dock. 

Yea it is the lower pontoon in the basin. 

The steps do not look all that safe at the moment !

IMG_20220209_101821.jpg.e78d99b996f867ecf70d46bb94727e06.jpg

Seems a better approach to remove and just not have an inner pontoon. Steps are half broken away at the top definitely a bit of work to get that sorted out !

IMG_20220209_101758.jpg.0402b0e0cb13e4d4047ec0ce3938b249.jpg

Edited by magnetman
  • Greenie 1