1953 Rushton

SarahB

Featured Posts

Hi all

My home "Debonair" is the proud owner of a '53 Rushton and my next investment is getting it serviced as I want to make sure it's running to its best.

I'm sure there are a couple of "bits" that can be improved - firstly it wavers when it's idling and I'm sure it would idle lower if it was serviced.

Also not sure about the compression (but I had heard that that's not a good thing to be worrying about!!) but saying that to be honest I'm not sure I would know if it has a problem or not!

I'm based on the Erewash, Notts and I wondered if anyone here would know anyone they could recommend to service it or if nothing else have a look/listen to give me some guidance on what may need doing?

I guess asking for a budget is a "how long is a piece of string" question but if I put aside £500 would that even begin to cover it?

Ideally if I could find someone who would be willing to show me some basics that would be great, even if it means I could do a couple of bits independently I would be chuffed!

Thanks in advance

Sarah (still to upload pics)

Welcome to the forum Sarah

If you've been lurking for a while you'll know that there is a wealth of information and, sometimes, even wisdom on this site

Somebody will know the answers to your questions - but I'm afraid I don't - welcome anyway

Welcome to the forum Sarah

If you've been lurking for a while you'll know that there is a wealth of information and, sometimes, even wisdom on this site

Somebody will know the answers to your questions - but I'm afraid I don't - welcome anyway

Cheers Bazza - yes been lurking for about a year now! Bought Debonair in the summer, then got stuck at Shardlow for a fair few weeks so it's only now I'm settling in and planning!

There's a end of the Erewash thingy in May and I want to get Debonair all ready to show off for that seeing it's literally on my doorstep. I couldn't possibly have a Rushton on show without it being in tip top condition really eh?

Sarah

Sarah

Can you give us a few more detail about your engine? I would suspect that its a Ruston, rather than a 'Rushton'.

If yuor that way inclined, a 'vintage' engine is fairly easy to work on and maintain yourself. If not, get someone to carryout a basic oil change, filters (oil and fuel(if fitted)) etc.

If it still hunts on idle afetr that, then get back on the forum. There are a number of avenues to go down, but start with the basics.

Ack indeed it is a Ruston! I have a few spares that the last owner left for me along with an original drawings book! Right then I'll get someone to do a basic tune up, clean, changing of stuff (and see how much I can annoy them by asking questions and wanting to have a go!) and see how it sounds after that.

Any names in the Notts/Derby area worth getting in touch with?

Thanks everyone - sometimes it's just knowing where to start eh?

Sarah

I'm curious now - Ruston was a Lincoln firm and I used to be a marine engineer (co-incidentally my first trip to sea was on the Esso Lincoln - a 57 000 ton tanker, 1976 it was) although my experience is with steam turbines. But I've seen the occasional Ruston steam boiler and other stuff around

How big is your engine? cc? number of cylinders? Any chance of some pictures?

Ack now I have to start looking at it to see what it will tell me! Now I've been looking at it I've found the plate that says 2VTH (guess the 2 is two cylinder?) and full load max 1100 and no load max 1170?

From word of mouth (two previous owners ago) it was in something MOD to start with (I think it was a crane or dumper??)

I have two orginal spare part lists (think old school books) which cover the following:

VTH, VTHZ, VSH, VSHZ and VSHL - the other book states VH and VHM (sizes 1VTH - 2VTH, 1VSH - 4VSH, 3-4VSHM)

And I was left with all sorts of o-rings (?), coils, lucas bulbs and other bits n bobs - all nicely labeled with part numbers! They are now stored in a "treasure" box for future use.

I'm not able to upload pics at the moment as the camera/USB thing is still lurking somewhere unpacked (I think mums loft!) but next time I'm south I will look for it or borrow someone's here on the marina.

Cheers

Sarah

sarah

Rustons were often used in cranes, narrow gauge railways and other industrial applications. What I'm trying to say is: There are a lot of enthusiasts out there in other fields not specifically associated with Narrowboating/canals. They can also be another source of help/parts etc.

I'd take a punt that your engine was originally attached to a generator. Hence the load/no load info.

the 2VTH is a water cooled twin cylinder rated at 15hp @ 1500rpm.

Ack now I have to start looking at it to see what it will tell me! Now I've been looking at it I've found the plate that says 2VTH (guess the 2 is two cylinder?) and full load max 1100 and no load max 1170?

From word of mouth (two previous owners ago) it was in something MOD to start with (I think it was a crane or dumper??)

I have two orginal spare part lists (think old school books) which cover the following:

VTH, VTHZ, VSH, VSHZ and VSHL - the other book states VH and VHM (sizes 1VTH - 2VTH, 1VSH - 4VSH, 3-4VSHM)

And I was left with all sorts of o-rings (?), coils, lucas bulbs and other bits n bobs - all nicely labeled with part numbers! They are now stored in a "treasure" box for future use.

I'm not able to upload pics at the moment as the camera/USB thing is still lurking somewhere unpacked (I think mums loft!) but next time I'm south I will look for it or borrow someone's here on the marina.

Cheers

Sarah

The story about your engine originally being in a crane is probably true, If it had been built originally as a marine engine, the plate would say 2VTHM, the M being for marine.

These engines, or something very similar are still made today in India at the old Ruston and Hornsby factory, now re-named Greaves, and are imported by Longboat Engineering. I don't know wheter the spares are interchangeable but you could ask them, they have a website here:- http://www.longboat-engineering.co.uk/3ydm.html

Edited by David Schweizer

sarah

Rustons were often used in cranes, narrow gauge railways and other industrial applications. What I'm trying to say is: There are a lot of enthusiasts out there in other fields not specifically associated with Narrowboating/canals. They can also be another source of help/parts etc.

I'd take a punt that your engine was originally attached to a generator. Hence the load/no load info.

the 2VTH is a water cooled twin cylinder rated at 15hp @ 1500rpm.

Thanks - now you've mentioned cranes I'm sure that's what I was told previously! I'll go digging for enthusiasts (not literally). I have a lot of contacts in the mechanical world so I keep mentioning my engine to the ones I meet - normally to be met with a look that almost says "why on earth would you have a vintage engine??"

Thanks again for all the help and info - I know more about my engine now even if it's what sort and where it's likely to have come from...

Sarah

Thanks - now you've mentioned cranes I'm sure that's what I was told previously! I'll go digging for enthusiasts (not literally). I have a lot of contacts in the mechanical world so I keep mentioning my engine to the ones I meet - normally to be met with a look that almost says "why on earth would you have a vintage engine??"

Thanks again for all the help and info - I know more about my engine now even if it's what sort and where it's likely to have come from...

Sarah

Your 'contacts in the mechanical world' should be saying - "vintage engine - fantastic". I'm sure every time you run it, you know why you have one (present problems resolved).

Have you tried typing 'Ruston' in on ebay. You'll be supprised what comes up.

Forgot:

I think that the old R&H works at Lincoln are now Lincoln Diesels : http://www.lincolndiesels.com/

You never know what they've got in the back room!

You can also check out: http://www.oldengine.org/members/ruston/HistMenu.htm

Edited by I want a 'proper job'

Hi Sarah

I don't know about Ruston's but Kelvins (which I have) which are of the same vintage have an independent Govenor which is filled with diesel. The govenor controls the fuel injector pump, and if the diesel in the govenor gets dirty and grungy (proper technical terminology !) you get uneven running. Draining and refilling with diesel is a periodic job.

Have a look here

http://www.sky-net.org.uk/kelvin/index.html

and at the contacts link, R.Gobel there looks after all sorts of vintage engines not just Kelvins and is very good and very reasonable hourly.

Also look here for a forum question on uneven running

http://engine-digest.info/cgi-bin/YaBB2/YaBB.pl?board=Admin

Look at K3 uneven running a few questions down the page.

david

Ack indeed it is a Ruston! I have a few spares that the last owner left for me along with an original drawings book! Right then I'll get someone to do a basic tune up, clean, changing of stuff (and see how much I can annoy them by asking questions and wanting to have a go!) and see how it sounds after that.Any names in the Notts/Derby area worth getting in touch with?Thanks everyone - sometimes it's just knowing where to start eh?Sarah
Hi Sarah ill try and get a tel no for a guy who is the dogs doda on rustons from russ on brock moored at thane road the next time he passes me as Brock has a ruston fitted as well
Ack indeed it is a Ruston! I have a few spares that the last owner left for me along with an original drawings book! Right then I'll get someone to do a basic tune up, clean, changing of stuff (and see how much I can annoy them by asking questions and wanting to have a go!) and see how it sounds after that.Any names in the Notts/Derby area worth getting in touch with?Thanks everyone - sometimes it's just knowing where to start eh?Sarah
Hi Sarah ill try and get a tel no for a guy who is the dogs doda on rustons from russ on brock moored at thane road the next time he passes me as Brock has a ruston fitted as well

dont know what i did wrong there

Edited by denis boyle

Hi Sarah ill try and get a tel no for a guy who is the dogs doda on rustons from russ on brock moored at thane road the next time he passes me as Brock has a ruston fitted as wellHi Sarah ill try and get a tel no for a guy who is the dogs doda on rustons from russ on brock moored at thane road the next time he passes me as Brock has a ruston fitted as well

dont know what i did wrong there

Thanks for your help!!

As for the engine-room forum - duly bookmarked. The question you pointed out sounds like my problem - sometimes it'll happily chug slowly and then all of a sudden the rev ghost appears and has a tinker!

I will try to borrow a camera and stuff so I can upload pics of it.

Thanks for your help!!

As for the engine-room forum - duly bookmarked. The question you pointed out sounds like my problem - sometimes it'll happily chug slowly and then all of a sudden the rev ghost appears and has a tinker!

I will try to borrow a camera and stuff so I can upload pics of it.

If you get stuck take a walk up to the end of the basin. I'm based on Wyrd and Judith Ann or can be reached through the yard office. We have both Ruston and Kelvin engines and can probably point you in the right direction. Regards. HughC.

:lol:

If you get stuck take a walk up to the end of the basin. I'm based on Wyrd and Judith Ann or can be reached through the yard office. We have both Ruston and Kelvin engines and can probably point you in the right direction. Regards. HughC.

:) ( hijack moment) have you got any valves and valve seats for kelvin a p 4