Hot Water

anthony

Featured Posts

Will someone please tell me how theirs is mounted or is it a totally stupid question?

Thanks.

They are not very heavy; a 3/4" bulkhead will be perfectly adequate. The main requirement is to provide a sealed flue through the roof and sufficient ventilation i.e. air supply. See the manufacturers installation instructions.

We have a calorifier, heated by either the engine or our Eberspacher, and a Morco. So we have experience of when each is best. The calorifier (engine heat) is great when cruising, but you need to use the hot water that evening. By morning it is barely warm. The Eberspacher will warm it up, but costs diesel and takes battery power, so we rarely use it (it also drives three radiators). The Morco is brilliant. Instant hot water at any time, BUT at very low pressure so it's useless for the shower.

I think something is wrong with the insulation on your calorifier Neil. Our boat calorifier appears to be a normal small domestic type which we have further insulated with loft insulation. After 14-15 hours the water is still hot enough for three showers and a bit of pot washing.

My paloma was mounted in the bathroom and consequently the boat failed its Boat Safety exam. I had to have it moved to the galley. All to do with ventilation.

By the way Paloma heaters are no longer made and spares are difficult to obtain or so I am told.

My paloma was mounted in the bathroom and consequently the boat failed its Boat Safety exam. I had to have it moved to the galley. All to do with ventilation.

By the way Paloma heaters are no longer made and spares are difficult to obtain or so I am told.

very odd, Our Paloma is also in the Heads and no failure yet since she was commissioned

I think something is wrong with the insulation on your calorifier Neil. Our boat calorifier appears to be a normal small domestic type which we have further insulated with loft insulation. After 14-15 hours the water is still hot enough for three showers and a bit of pot washing.

I'd second that too. Our water is more than hot enough overnight for 2 showers in the morning and washing up after breakfast. (60 litre integral-foam insulated calorifier)

Chris

very odd, Our Paloma is also in the Heads and no failure yet since she was commissioned

I met someone today who has just bought a brand new Paloma.. I can't think why a Paloma should not be fitted in a bathroom as long as the ventilation was OK.

But even so it is usually possible to 'move the bulkhead' instead by building it in within the bathroom, cutting an opening in the bulkhead and rotating the Paloma axially 180 deg.

Edited by John Orentas

I discovered today (after 15 years) that the flow and return pipes from the engine to the calorifier coil have always been mis-labelled. Does anyone know if it makes any difference which way the water flows through the coil - it flows from bottom to top at the moment.

Allan

I discovered today (after 15 years) that the flow and return pipes from the engine to the calorifier coil have always been mis-labelled. Does anyone know if it makes any difference which way the water flows through the coil - it flows from bottom to top at the moment.

Allan

If it works OK don't fix it. :lol:

your engine cooling circuit is pumped so it doesn't matter much.

in an ideal convected circuit the hot water arrives at the top of the calorifier and cools as it passes down through the coil. This enhances the circulation.