Moving without power

Ericpoli

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Red bit not true in the pull with the back rope and steer with the front rope procedure I explained is adopted. In fact at manual towing speeds it probably gives the best directional control and the ability to put the boat wherever you want it across the canal.

If I need to bowhaul any significant distance I usually tie the bow and stern lines together as a variant of this technique.  Having one big loop instead of two separate lines allows you to keep the boat moving with one hand but still control the direction as you describe.  

For moving only a short distance I do it exactly as you describe because I'm lazy! :D

Just now, TheBiscuits said:

If I need to bowhaul any significant distance I usually tie the bow and stern lines together as a variant of this technique.  Having one big loop instead of two separate lines allows you to keep the boat moving with one hand but still control the direction as you describe.  

For moving only a short distance I do it exactly as you describe because I'm lazy! :D

Luckily I rarely had to pull long distances and when I did I had an apprentice with me so he did the pulling and I did the direction - that's what apprentices are for ?. Good tip about tying the lines together but make sure you pull roughly in line with the bow.

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I have tied the bow and stern line together then place the loop around my waist. Just lean into the rope and the boat will move at reasonable speed. Easy to adjust the rope slightly to steer.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

Luckily I rarely had to pull long distances and when I did I had an apprentice with me so he did the pulling and I did the direction - that's what apprentices are for ?. Good tip about tying the lines together but make sure you pull roughly in line with the bow.

Yeah, you need your one hand in the correct position on the loop or it doesn't work too well.

Apprentices to pull long distances?  We call in the professionals!

20180604_191818.jpg.869ec66863ae2a47d5402864fbec6047.jpg