What is BW for?

Alastair

Featured Posts

I was (and am) gobsmacked. I was about to tackle them over the tender and eviction issues, on the basis that they weren't fulfilling their duty to their customers under their charter.

Instead, I find out that we aren't customers under their charter.

As I said, we are stuffed. They can do whatever they bl**dy well like to us.

I was (and am) gobsmacked. I was about to tackle them over the tender and eviction issues, on the basis that they weren't fulfilling their duty to their customers under their charter.

Instead, I find out that we aren't customers under their charter.

As I said, we are stuffed. They can do whatever they bl**dy well like to us.

But if they don't recognise boaters as customers, why are boaters giving them money?

There is nothing in it whatsoever about boats.

But there is in the Framework Document:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/environment/water/iw/frame/index.htm

...which is still, together with the Transport Act 1968, Government's formal instructions to BW as to how it should operate.

one effective way to protest and get noticed is for boaters to open as many roadbridges as possible during the rush hours in all cities around the country , done on a preset day.

Why limit it to cities? there are rural ones that are partcularly good at 'catching' 4 by 4's - not that I'd ever condone such selfish action, of course...

Ian

But there is in the Framework Document:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/environment/water/iw/frame/index.htm

...which is still, together with the Transport Act 1968, Government's formal instructions to BW as to how it should operate.

Thanks for the link. There are, however, only two direction items of relevance:

"British Waterways should encourage adjoining landowners and authorities to participate in jointly enhancing value by the regeneration and provision of facilities that are to the benefit of the general public and that improve the tourism, recreational, amenity and community value of the waterways for boaters, anglers, walkers and cyclists."

And

"British Waterways should continue to encourage the development of off-line moorings"

one effective way to protest and get noticed is for boaters to open as many roadbridges as possible during the rush hours in all cities around the country , done on a preset day.

Some of the busiest opening bridges have time lock on them preventing their use in the rush hour..... :D

I feel such a protest is likely to provoke an increase in their number.....

Edited by Hairy-Neil

I've long thought the best place to protest would be by draping a banner along the side of your boat while mooring it on the aqueduct which takes the Tame Valley Canal over the M5.

I've long thought the best place to protest would be by draping a banner along the side of your boat while mooring it on the aqueduct which takes the Tame Valley Canal over the M5.

dear richard, a rather tame way of protestation if I may say

better to drape said banner on the aqueduct itself!

and theres the one in Milton keynes - a massive protest banner potential!

Oh, sure. But the Highways Agency or BW could quite easily remove your banner if it were on their property (the aqueduct). I don't see what they could do if the banner was on your boat - there's no bylaw saying "thou shalt not have words criticising the Government written on your boat"!

Probably the most effective thing you could do would be simple non-compliance. Remember BW are not the owners of the canals or anything else, they are no more than employees of the government who have been contracted to maintain and generally care for the waterways.

No one has given them permission to embark on the road of property development and speculation with your money, why should they be building office blocks many miles from the nearest canal..

Pubs do you really want them to be buying or creating a chain of pubs with your cash, apart from anything else do you think they would be any good at it, much more likely it will be a financial disaster with massive losses suitably diluted in the general accounts and again they will blame the workers on the bank and you.

No one has given them permission to embark on the road of property development and speculation with your money, why should they be building office blocks many miles from the nearest canal..

If you read the DEFRA charter handed to BW, you will see that BW are required to do this.

However, they aren't required to do anything for boaters.

That's what I was so gobsmacked about.