Featured Posts

We’re selling our 43ft narrowboat to get something bigger. The buyer of our current boat wants a survey done (of course), however we’re still living / working from home on her and it will be our home until the sale goes through. Has anyone experienced this at all? I’m 6 months pregnant and it’s a national lock down, so just a little confused where I’m supposed to go for the whole day whilst this is happening. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks. 

2 hours ago, Chelen13 said:

We’re selling our 43ft narrowboat to get something bigger. The buyer of our current boat wants a survey done (of course), however we’re still living / working from home on her and it will be our home until the sale goes through. Has anyone experienced this at all? I’m 6 months pregnant and it’s a national lock down, so just a little confused where I’m supposed to go for the whole day whilst this is happening. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks. 

Is it an out-of-water survey? If so the disruption to you will be greater. If not then you could try to speak with the surveyor in advance to discuss how best to minimise the impact on you. AFAIK (certainly with a house survey) you would not normally have to be absent for a survey so it is only the COVID side that will need to be different. I'd be surprised if you would have to be away from the boat for a whole day.

Where are you moored? In a marina? If so, do they not have somewhere you can sit it out? Are you bubbled with anyone? If so, use them, if not then form one with a friendly neighbour that is not already bubbled! 

In any event, leaving your home in connection with a move is a specified acceptable reason so it will depend on your view of what it is safe to do.

Just had a BSS done on a boat by a surveyor and he didn’t want anyone on the boat 48hrs prior, due to Covid-19 precautions.

I would find out who is surveying the boat and find out his requirements first hand regarding Covid-19. 

Edited by PD1964
  • Greenie 1