Shoreline setup advice

Boat_Around_Si

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Yes I think that might be true (not in the case of our boat) but the issue there is the boat’s inadequate over current protection, rather than plugging into a 32A breakered bollard. The ISO requires over-current protection at the inlet to the boat, and boats as you describe are not compliant.

How many boats were built prior to the ISO? 

How many boats are rewired with no reference to the ISO?

Mine was but then I know from a lifetime of experience how it should be done.

ETA the first thing after the socket and prior to the transformer is a DP MCB. The reason being it then doesn't matter a jot how the shore supply is configured.

Edited by Loddon
  • Greenie 1

10 hours ago, Loddon said:

How many boats were built prior to the ISO? 

ETA the first thing after the socket and prior to the transformer is a DP MCB. The reason being it then doesn't matter a jot how the shore supply is configured.

The ISO and the Recreational Craft Directive started back in 1998.

Could you please confirm where in the ISO or other marine specification document the requirement for the Double poled MCB?

12 minutes ago, Keith M said:

Could you please confirm where in the ISO or other marine specification document the requirement for the Double poled MCB?

Does this help ?

(There is an updated version of ISO 13297 due to be issued next month, complaince with ISO 13297 is an RCD Requirement :)

INTERNATIONAL STANDARD ISO 13297 Second edition 2000-12-01 Small craft — Electrical systems — Alternating current installations

7.2 Main supply circuits

7.2.1 Double-pole circuit-breakers shall be installed in conductors to the shore-power supply circuits.

7.2.2 A manually reset trip-free circuit-breaker shall be installed within 0,5 m of the source of power or, if impractical, the conductor from the source of power to the panel-board circuit-breaker shall be contained within a protective covering, such as a junction box, control box, enclosed panel-board, or within a conduit or cable trunking or equivalent protective covering. If the location of the main shore-power inlet circuit-breaker exceeds 3 m from the shore-power inlet connection or the electrical attachment point of a permanently installed shore-power cord, additional fuses or circuit-breakers shall be provided within 3 m of the inlet or attachment point to the electrical system in the craft, measured along the conductor.

7.2.3 Overcurrent protection shall be provided for isolation and polarization transformers, including a bank of transformers operating as a unit. Each transformer shall be protected by an individual overcurrent device on the primary side, rated at not more than 125 % of the rated primary current of the transformer.

9 hours ago, Keith M said:

That is a very out of date document. Publish over 20 years ago.

As I said - it is currently being updated and due for print in February.

Do you have any later versions ? Is the section on "Main supply circuits" any different ?

Edit to add the 2014 version has the same requirement (section 7.1.1)

Edited by Alan de Enfield

9 hours ago, Keith M said:

My boat and many others are pre 1998.

As for the DP MCB there may or may not be a requirement in the ISO I have never read it. I fitted the DP MCB because it is sensible to have OC protection where supplies are wired with L/N reversed. Yes I have seen L/N  reversed as well as other supply problems on many occasions over my working life with electrical supplies.

Edited by Loddon