Sikagard 62 for water tank coating?

Winnie88

Featured Posts

Hi everyone,

This is my first post, i'm just in the process of buying my first narrowboat. 

Currently the water tank is in quite a state and needs a bit of work.

I've been trawling through forums and finally found a product which sounded right. I ordered some Sikagard 62 for a final coat of the water tank as I figured it might last longer than just using fertan. 

Having looked at the instructions it looks like the conditions won't be right for the application as it requires temps of 20c and my boat is going to be on the water. 

So my question is will it work at all? Will it just take a really long time to cure? Do you have any experience using this product/have any advice or tips? or shall i just stick to the fertan and not bother with the extra coating?

Thanks in advance :)

Just using Fertan will not last long under water.  Over coat with a bitumen suited to potable water is easiest.  You may need to fan ventilate the tank to get it to set properly, not just go touch dry. 

N

Probably the worst job on a narrowboat. I scraped the tank back to bare metal then used two coats of Vactan similar to Fertan. Then two coats of bitumen allowing each coat to dry over a couple of days. This took place over a hot week in summer and I still needed to use a heater in the tank to dry the various coats. I have never used Sikgard 62 but if the instructions call for 20 C for drying I suspect you will have problems at this time of the year.

15 minutes ago, KenK said:

Probably the worst job on a narrowboat. I scraped the tank back to bare metal then used two coats of Vactan similar to Fertan. Then two coats of bitumen allowing each coat to dry over a couple of days. This took place over a hot week in summer and I still needed to use a heater in the tank to dry the various coats. I have never used Sikgard 62 but if the instructions call for 20 C for drying I suspect you will have problems at this time of the year.

The very job I'm doing now. Talk about filthy. I've been looking for a supplier of Vactan and decided on http://www.paco-systems.co.uk/vactan/. I came across an old thread and the OP of that one used that supplier. There are other types of coatings, epoxy type coatings I'd like to use, but quite a few require better prep work than I could do; sometimes shot blasting to a standard. So, it's going to be Vactan and probably a bitumen type finish. Although, the OP of the other thread (year's old) seemed to rely on just the Vactan and recoat more frequently. 

Edited by Higgs

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/firstforallyourchemicalneeds

This seller on eBay is Performance Chemicals Ltd, the manufacturer of Vactan.

Ah, yes, came across that firm, but couldn't find much detail; probably my fault, but I also don't fancy using eBay. Prefer to deal direct, if possible. 

3 hours ago, BEngo said:

Just using Fertan will not last long under water.  Over coat with a bitumen suited to potable water is easiest.  You may need to fan ventilate the tank to get it to set properly, not just go touch dry. 

N

Thank you. I think I'll give up on the Sikagard idea. It looks like a great product but I don't want to come across any major hiccoughs, as I'm don't have all the time in the world.

https://www.bcprofiles.co.uk/product/everbuild-901-black-jack-bitumen-paint-5-litre/?adTribesID=ed1c99a67252918a1e99065fc33086ea|adtribes|9268&utm_source=Google Shopping&utm_campaign=BC Profiles&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=9268&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_caBiKba6wIVmbh3Ch07vQOQEAQYAiABEgKcB_D_BwE

Does this bitumen look ok? I found somewhere that it is potable but it's not actually stated on the description.

9 minutes ago, Winnie88 said:

Thank you. I think I'll give up on the Sikagard idea. It looks like a great product but I don't want to come across any major hiccoughs, as I'm don't have all the time in the world.

https://www.bcprofiles.co.uk/product/everbuild-901-black-jack-bitumen-paint-5-litre/?adTribesID=ed1c99a67252918a1e99065fc33086ea|adtribes|9268&utm_source=Google Shopping&utm_campaign=BC Profiles&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=9268&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_caBiKba6wIVmbh3Ch07vQOQEAQYAiABEgKcB_D_BwE

Does this bitumen look ok? I found somewhere that it is potable but it's not actually stated on the description.

Scrap that, the info I found on that one was old. Just read the current PDF and it's not suitable.

Found a Thompson's one but it is out of stock most places.

https://www.multicreteproducts.co.uk/multicrete-black-bitumen-paint-5l-334-p.asp 

Think i'm going to try this one.