Hiring a sea anchor

Chestj50

Featured Posts

On 13/07/2020 at 14:04, Chestj50 said:

We are about to take our narrowboat down the tidal section of the River Severn and then up the Avon to her new mooring. We have a pilot booked from Sharpness but we need to hire (or buy at a push) a sea anchor with 10m of chain.

Can anyone tell me where we can do this?

JC

I've got a 20kg Danforth anchor you can borrow if you've not already found something and done the trip. I'm near Northampton and you would have to come and collect/return it by car. I don't have any chain to lend you though.

You will need an anchor, not a sea anchor. The pilot will check it's in place before he steps onto your boat at Sharpness. As well as the 10m of chain you'll need at least 20m of rope to connect to form a warp. I can lend you the rope as well. Send me a message if you want it.

Edit: On the other hand, if you've got a new mooring on the Avon then you'll need to invest in an anchor and chain/rope anyway!

Edited by blackrose

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/07/2020 at 22:05, Scholar Gypsy said:

Yes, I will have it on the bows, while reversing single handed. I was just testing it by chucking it off the stern, it was a pretty effective brake! The website did indeed suggest a much  bigger size for my length of boat, bigger than the cross section of the canal I have in mind.  I have read some comments from people who use a bucket on a line when reversing, this is a more sophisticated version.

I got to within sight of Horseway (photo 1), when a combination of the TOG135 blanket weed (photo 2) and the heat caused me to stop. I think the drogue helped to keep me straight, I hardly needed to use the pole when reversing through the duckweed (photo 3, with the forty foot to Chatteris in the distance).

1387680610_WhatsAppImage2020-08-07at19_51.29(2).jpeg.4d9aee11457b5637fed305e0e57fabcb.jpeg324476129_WhatsAppImage2020-08-07at19_51.29(1).jpeg.2d4e816660fe55d3125fe723bff2db10.jpeg730184017_WhatsAppImage2020-08-07at19_51.29(3).jpeg.0f9567df7b2633583e7a2d55fb0c56b6.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/07/2020 at 08:34, jenevers said:

Would dragging a long chain along the canal bed, off the bow, keep the bow under control?

I know that TD [formerly of this parish] advocated using a mud weight on the Trent to control barges when power is lost, and I would think that would be more predictable.

I seem to recall in the dim and distant past that we tested some  drouges, at sea, off the stern, simulating gale condtions with use of engine and rudder, they took some time to set, we used several in series, and not easy to reteive, esp single handed with no winch.

On 13/07/2020 at 14:20, Chestj50 said:

Thanks for your replies. We do need one which can anchor us,  which is why we need 10m of chain the pilot tells us.  It was a vain hope that you might be able to hire one. Good to know they are useful in deep locks

Sorry, the 30m anchorplait [rope], not the chain........ for locking .......

PS 10m of chain is vague, 1/4 inch unbranded would likely snap,10mm Certified would not.

Edited by LadyG