Stoppage notices out of date

Mad Harold

Featured Posts

Before setting off I always check the stoppage notices.

Planned a weeks trip from Aspley Wharf to Sowerby Bridge to Dewsbury and then back.Checked the notices and noted all the flood locks on the Calder were listed as closed.Cancelled my trip,and while messing about on my boat yesterday a Shire Cruisers hire boat came into Huddersfield from Sowerby Bridge!

Asked the skipper about the flood locks (he would have passed the Anchor Pit) and he looked rather blank.

The flood locks are obviously open (I drove up to the Cooper Bridge flood lock) and that was open.

Am quite annoyed that I cancelled my trip because CRT doesn't keep stoppage notices up to date.

Unless these notices are kept up to date,then I think they are rather pointless.

1 hour ago, Mad Harold said:

Before setting off I always check the stoppage notices.

Planned a weeks trip from Aspley Wharf to Sowerby Bridge to Dewsbury and then back.Checked the notices and noted all the flood locks on the Calder were listed as closed.Cancelled my trip,and while messing about on my boat yesterday a Shire Cruisers hire boat came into Huddersfield from Sowerby Bridge!

Asked the skipper about the flood locks (he would have passed the Anchor Pit) and he looked rather blank.

The flood locks are obviously open (I drove up to the Cooper Bridge flood lock) and that was open.

Am quite annoyed that I cancelled my trip because CRT doesn't keep stoppage notices up to date.

Unless these notices are kept up to date,then I think they are rather pointless.

I suggest just keeping an eye on water levels. I've often found the flood gates shut even when the flood has receded. 
http://www.southpennineboatclub.co.uk/flood-monitoring/

5 hours ago, Midnight said:

I suggest just keeping an eye on water levels. I've often found the flood gates shut even when the flood has receded. 
http://www.southpennineboatclub.co.uk/flood-monitoring/

Decided on a trip up the Huddersfield Narrow (Ha Ha Ha).

But first rather than rely on stoppage notices,I decided to look for myself.

Lock 1E chained and padlocked with a Shire Cruiser's boat in the lock.He'd been there for three hours waiting for a CRT man to unlock it.When he arrived he apologised profusely but had been called to lock 13E because some cretin had rammed the lock gate,and knocked it off it's hinge.He reckoned it would need a crane to put it back,so that will take time.

I asked the man if he would leave lock 1E unlocked but he said he wasn't allowed.

The Shire Cruiser will have to turn around spoiling the skipper and his two kids holiday.Then ring CRT to unlock lock 1E again when he returns.The reason lock 1E is padlocked is because some joker (who has a waterways key) keeps winding the paddles up,and that pound takes forever to fill.

I feel really sorry for the boater and his kids,as their introduction to boating and the Huddersfield Narrow will be memorable for the wrong reasons.