Generator: What does this LPG regulator do and why might it be broken?

Thomas C King

Featured Posts

Hi,

Screenshot from Journey with Jono. I bought a very similar setup, possibly from the same company, but there was no instruction on how to use it so I just followed Jono's method. We have a regulator with a 'priming' button (the silver thing in the image below). I normally press the priming button for a few seconds, I hear some gas come in, and then I can start the generator. Now, I hear only gas come in for maybe half a second (holding the button down does nothing). I've tried a full tank.

Questions: what does the priming thing even do? Why might it be broken? Is it broken or is this how it's actually meant to work? I will be ringing the supplier but I wanted to see what experienced boaters thought as well. Thanks!

image.png.04d4e15f281fff69b35e9fa01d80c2d7.png

4 minutes ago, Thomas C King said:

Hi,

Screenshot from Journey with Jono. I bought a very similar setup, possibly from the same company, but there was no instruction on how to use it so I just followed Jono's method. We have a regulator with a 'priming' button (the silver thing in the image below). I normally press the priming button for a few seconds, I hear some gas come in, and then I can start the generator. Now, I hear only gas come in for maybe half a second (holding the button down does nothing). I've tried a full tank.

Questions: what does the priming thing even do? Why might it be broken? Is it broken or is this how it's actually meant to work? I will be ringing the supplier but I wanted to see what experienced boaters thought as well. Thanks!

image.png.04d4e15f281fff69b35e9fa01d80c2d7.png

Turn the bottle on!!!!!

When you fit the regulator it will be full of air so if you do not let it out in some way it will take time to work its way through to the generator. To minimise the time I THINK the priming button just presses on the diaphragm to allow gas to eh engine without ant regulation. It may also act as a choke for cold stating.

Once the regulator starts limiting the  gas flow the volume of the flow is likely to be such that you may not hear it. Is it just the noise that is worrying you or does the generator stop?

Edited by Tony Brooks

39 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

When you fit the regulator it will be full of air so if you do not let it out in some way it will take time to work its way through to the generator. To minimise the time I THINK the priming button just presses on the diaphragm to allow gas to eh engine without ant regulation. It may also act as a choke for cold stating.

Once the regulator starts limiting the  gas flow the volume of the flow is likely to be such that you may not hear it. Is it just the noise that is worrying you or does the generator stop?

I can't get the generator going anymore, and the regulator used to continually let gas out for as long as I pressed the button, but not anymore. I should mention that the change to the regulator's behavior and the generator not going might be coincidental, because I did get a bit of soil in the generator's hose connector, which I think I cleaned out but I cannot be sure.

5 minutes ago, Thomas C King said:

I did get a bit of soil in the generator's hose connector, which I think I cleaned out but I cannot be sure.

Can you blow through it? 

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, Thomas C King said:

I can't get the generator going anymore, and the regulator used to continually let gas out for as long as I pressed the button, but not anymore. I should mention that the change to the regulator's behavior and the generator not going might be coincidental, because I did get a bit of soil in the generator's hose connector, which I think I cleaned out but I cannot be sure.

That will be the problem then.  There is a very small hole on the inlet side of the diaphragm to let the gas in. You may have to disconnect the primary regulator from the genny regulator to clean both out.

TD'

• Greenie 1