Planning application adjacent to the Ashton Canal Manchester.

Featured Posts

I was sent information on this application as a previous customer of Manchester Arena who are trying to drum up opposition to the proposals. It's basically a proposal to build a rival venue of a similar type to their's hence the opposition.

I make no comment as to the merits or otherwise of the application but as it's adjacent to the Ashton I though people from that neck of the woods might be interested and want to make comments on the application and any possible impact on boating.

https://pa.manchester.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=Q6S4KJBCM9Q00

2 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I was sent information on this application as a previous customer of Manchester Arena who are trying to drum up opposition to the proposals. It's basically a proposal to build a rival venue of a similar type to their's hence the opposition.

I make no comment as to the merits or otherwise of the application but as it's adjacent to the Ashton I though people from that neck of the woods might be interested and want to make comments on the application and any possible impact on boating.

https://pa.manchester.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=Q6S4KJBCM9Q00

We came through there last year. From what we could see the extensive development, multiple sports facilities including Etihad Stadium, have been a part of the process of making the Ashton Canal much more usable. It is gradually losing its former adverse reputation (but locals are still prone to giving boaters dire warnings!)

Good Grief!

I just had a quick look at one of the 91 document associated with the application.  I lost the will to live when I noticed that it was 345 pages long!  I did find a map on it though.  I might have misinterpreted it but it looked as if the canal goes right through the middle of the site with a lock there.  Should prove a nice bit of interest to the visitors to the Stadium.  I wonder what the objections are.

N

12 minutes ago, Theo said:

Good Grief!

I just had a quick look at one of the 91 document associated with the application.  I lost the will to live when I noticed that it was 345 pages long!  I did find a map on it though.  I might have misinterpreted it but it looked as if the canal goes right through the middle of the site with a lock there.  Should prove a nice bit of interest to the visitors to the Stadium.  I wonder what the objections are.

N

Manchester Arena are objecting because they dont believe there is the business to support two venues of the same type in that area, them being one of them.

They are planning to re develop their existing arena and are saying one will not survive if permission is given.

I dont believe there are any objections from a waterways perspective (so far).

Yes planning applications are notoriously difficult to work through, if I was a cynic I would say its deliberate.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

3 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Manchester Arena are objecting because they dont believe there is the business to support two venues of the same type in that area, them being one of them.

Tim Coghlan did exactly the same with Barby and Dunchurch Pools.