BSS and covering pole / plank / hook

Cruiser_Boy

Featured Posts

I'm in the process of buying parts to add solar panels to my boat. The only place they can go is on two specially made brackets which form an arch over the

pole / plank and hook. These will easily pull out parallel to the roof and therefore be accessible but they will no longer lift up directly.

I just wondered if this is a problem for BSS certificate? I don't want to go to all the trouble of fitting the panels only to have it fail BSS in a couple of years.

I can't see it being an issue the parts are not 'life critical' but thought I would ask first.

3 minutes ago, Cruiser_Boy said:

I'm in the process of buying parts to add solar panels to my boat. The only place they can go is on two specially made brackets which form an arch over the

pole / plank and hook. These will easily pull out parallel to the roof and therefore be accessible but they will no longer lift up directly.

I just wondered if this is a problem for BSS certificate? I don't want to go to all the trouble of fitting the panels only to have it fail BSS in a couple of years.

I can't see it being an issue the parts are not 'life critical' but thought I would ask first.

The BSS will have no concerns - the BSS is not about your safety or the safety of the boat itself, it is all about the safety of 3rd parties (ie if your boat explodes as they are walking along the towpath).

Your plans will not affect to the granting of a BSSC

Its like saying your car will fail its MOT because you have a roof rack.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

14 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Its like saying your car will fail its MOT because you have a roof rack.

Oh good grief! Do you mean to say that we could have left it on?

Fine as far as the BSS is concerned, but trying to pull a pole out longitudinally from under the solar panels, without damaging the panels, the wiring (or the pole), when you have got into a tricky position and you need the pole now, just looks to me to be inviting disaster.

• Greenie 1