Team Rebellion Virtual BCN Challenge 2020 Cruise Log

Featured Posts

Just now, HuggableHamster said:

Nothing sinister to report... maybe Herschel had something to do with it!

Anyone from the Facebook group Narrowboat Hookers and Stitchers I hope you appreciate the hand knits - socks (of course) knitted by @smudgepuss, fingerless gloves and hat knitted by me, the hat is a copy of a Fair Isle fisherman’s hat on display in Shetland, nice and toasty when it’s cold out.

There is a Narrowboat Hookers facebook group, who'd have known

Log time: 12:05, Monday 3rd May 1841

After some problems with the paddle gear at lock 29, we decided to head further back in time to 1841, shortly after the BCN acquired the Wyrley & Essington canal and reconstructed many of the locks, refacing them with blue engineering bricks and fitting heavy iron rubbing strakes. The volunteers should have an easy time working us through all the newly reconstructed locks.

We’re still getting used to handling the craft properly - controlling the Bolinder is not quite as straightforward as Rebellion’s modern engine and gearbox!  But despite the dodgy paddle gear and a slow entrance to the first lock, we’re still running exactly to time - I guess that must be an unforeseen side effect of the Automat Sehnsucht.

Log time: 12:45, Monday 4th May 2020

Our Automat Sehnsucht had some trouble and briefly returned us to the present day, we found ourselves on the bed of the canal that the Lichfield & Hatherton Canals Restoration Trust are currently restoring:

QDp0NvNujEim0F-l_gTEMPs9v0r-wpDpRCj_rn_bhAS0BSrOIJrAtJ9o_4rmoW7NbxQKoyhLFXdxa1aksT6jMaGsqoPLOnESL0WxE_udzHWBI8nVNshvxqo6QRky00LMvr_7ywV5

We headed back to 1920 to get some water under our keel again, and snapped this photo:

DmKkx3hwS-FR0aOKT8bjh2rMkTswLvay-cYZdJ5HwLDB4SY5D9VSVaJCVnJVnpzKGzXC-U02tbhKwwq3Sh4t6VaJk55pirU-qXvS2doJLPrqca0MYgxz_LegbeGt2Cl8nvkjThqn

(Photos from LHCRT facebook posts)

Log time: 13:20, Monday 3rd May 1920

We decided it was time for a lunch break before heading up the next flight.  A lunch break, while doing the BCN Challenge, who has ever heard of such a preposterous idea!  I could get used to these 7 hour cruising days.

It’s not too early for a beer, is it?  It’s just we have a very tempting barrel of Roasted Nuts (from the Rebellion Brewery in Marlow) that we brought along.  I’m not convinced all of it is going to make it to the finish...

WQ0eNJdeIbbiOk9M0SBu1qvmWYYPP9HtioBaAHPK1w4fWAUqv-EYpcIJtZXR_x8h5uil74oLIHLuukyZ6AUMSw1YA9VEBIfrvQ8_tjqOOnlIuX-GXzL-DYw7R-hEkhuhPO-eyFqS

• Love 1

Log time: 15:40, Monday 3rd May 1920

After another 10 locks passed without a hitch, with great help from the army of volunteer lockies, we arrived at our originally planned lunching location - very glad that we’d stopped for lunch early.

EBfAtUUbGiGlXWqGEtW-iM-DJKXCQL7F1ryqmZm9MrpO0nQSV5U3kRaj_UCg0RLtc3YKaYRSkRIDxTwPQIG8_NmC-DTUog3TODrYLGapjUS4bVVXa5UnJ-1bqIAe4C8XMc5ECxPP

We still reckoned there was time to grab a quick pint at the Boat Inn though, so we moored up and headed over.  We were able to sample some of Lichfield Brewery Companies finest ale - as advertised:

0F7GPNn1x0PZXqFVBCQ5DMVtOx8aaKBlq_aQ4V2PXag9Ka9W8BUJpXD96xzI61I56lIDx81izTbeK-77qPJwiJJmjUixRadYnAadDtw0k6V-7QYzwBpht7DcNwcm36xX6O9WLtq2

The Staffordshire Hoard was discovered near here, and over our beers we discussed testing out the Automat Sehnsucht to see whether it could take us back to the 7th century to find out anything more.  But after the late start and extra stop for drinks, we decided that it was best not to venture that far back in time, but instead carried on up to Ogley Junction.

Edit to add: Up to date GPS location

Edited by RebelMike

25 minutes ago, RebelMike said:

Amy, delayed in the real world by her day at work, has now reported in.  Here she is dressed for the unusual weather conditions!

image.png.214807bc3bcf0773a83444570d4c8774.png

Given the rapid oncoming weather I was not to be caught out. Manning my secret clothing storage I Popped on. 

(from top to bottom)

3 Pairs of Socks

1 pair of leggings

2 pair of waterproofs. 

2 tshirts

2 gilets

1 PADDED DIVING UNDERSUIT on top of everything. 

2 Snoods, 3 hats. 

A large Dressing Gown. 

And a partridge in a pear treeeee. 

Sadly in all the hurry i forgot my shoes!! 

Log time: 16:40, Monday 8th May 1820

We finally made it to the top of the flight and to the junction, where we thanked all the volunteers who’d helped us up the flight.

However, when we came to make the right turn up towards Anglesey Basin we were surprised to be met with the entrance to a non-navigable stretch of canal.  Of course - this branch was merely a feeder until around 1850.  We came back to the present day to continue our journey.

aC_ihxJJzdIiP4H5fEk9uf5LFRheQSfvfYzxort0LPv4bLwzo43faSFF8XZallx_aCHlsIZiGD3VFuy7D5ZWeOAr1610wWwDEx0khSCl-gfEzh9BiHgApozf0meYaSLPB9ymE8MO

(picture from Wikipedia)

• Greenie 1

Log time: 17:15, Monday 9th May 1955

Travelling in the present day didn’t last for long - we thought it would be much more interesting to go back to when the canal was still being used to take coal from the Cannock Chase Collieries.

We met horse-drawn narrowboat Thomas loading at the basin, I was surprised that horses were still being used in 1955.  Skipper Ray mentioned he and Bob (the horse) were leaving Anglesey Basin for the last time - headed for a flour mill in Worcester.  We were glad that it was him and not us heading for the Tardebigge flight!

Log time: 18:15, Monday 3rd May 1841

Reaching the junction with Sandhills Branch we went back to 1841 when the branch was still in use.  It didn’t take us long to reach the wharf, where James Brawn, the Lime Master was waiting for us.  He was intrigued by the noise of our engine and how we were propelled without a horse, but mostly he was disappointed that we weren’t here to carry his waiting shipment of quicklime.

We hastily turned before James could ask too many questions about William and why we were travelling along his private canal arm, snapping the sketch below as the fiery kilns reflected in the water.

b56XUdq5voGUrisqey-IZANhpXBoc6gF9FWwpdlkuCGMKx4QpmhCw3GG7QlGm2D04wsX_FOXPS9vyMV6mX99Wgc8wWv6hssNWBnVumRfW2kZWYg-E_Z0_gFnPIK0jk-sYEyBwmvY

• Greenie 1

Log time: 18:45, Friday May 16th 1975

On our way to Catshill Junction we took a quick trip back to 1975 to join in the Brownhills Rally.  Here we’re looking at some excellent traditionally painted cans:

8t8FC70N19Tz2W5j6fgPwn_bJNA6Sz4vE0bLXXzJmlfLl2N9fBNWRwsuBxV3upnuC-LI705b31armeZK5PSlVUqh_7c0Fgs4HgKH6f5kzeH2SRoW2mzSOoxiiXzNCod5MVhxPa3B

(Picture from: https://brownhillsbob.com/2010/10/16/on-the-cut%e2%80%a6-a-different-point-of-view/)

More photos from rally: https://brownhillsbob.com/2010/10/16/on-the-cut/

We’d heard that in the present day there was a rather nice art work to see at the junction, so we hopped forward to 2020 again to take a photo

tV19r7wIoE4IDTqZJgOdHQw3wNcPq_T887ngrJ3Sv3OPhITxWA7UmjG4lOovt32KJ_PfLRas4cU7VejGAbZ-x1WEff2FizUzLR8maXLkEhcw6F7yJzMV6mGqcMzGOnHIfTiFI8n0

(Picture from Wikipedia)

Scandal!  Team Rebellion accused of misleading the opposition!

We want to make it absolutely clear that we have nothing to do with this and that we certainly don't have friends that work at Google and that in any case we probably would never consider asking them to subtly change the search results for the phrase "Bradley Workshops" in order to mislead the competition.

Log time: 19:25, Monday 6th May 1850

We reached the end of the Slough Arm, where coal and ironstone were waiting to be loaded on to boats.

We were very surprised to have had to come up through a lock to get to the end of the arm - as none had been mentioned on the information sheet we’d picked up in the 21st century.  Anyhow, we were very pleased to see the wonderful lock volunteers had also discovered this lock and were here to help us through though, and we rewarded their late stay with a pint of Roasted Nuts each.

This is the lock today:

I42vJ-9lXxoDisgx8RmdCfraLF6EgklSykjbOwjg5WSvnSN7uPdQdhTWJqQWeVn-WIKrsa6_qt0EeSB8VC_rkKvmdHz5yu7NVW8qAhM16_BG8ULDkZrsnL-etVdJ-j4ys39HhIZW

(picture from @Capt Ahab's blog)

• Greenie 1

Log time: 19:45, Monday 4th May 2020

We got a little further than expected today - many thanks to all the volunteers!  We moored up at the junction with the Slough Arm.

YF84A83dmAlcB_uEHEGTh4YDTVODUpYKfPzswUIJtYvZwvUjHamnHDdB1IJxSdCZ25X7SDI-Bm2Jjxpkl7yek_j2uPuhDiIniE9Nd2x_VSFX-irHpKLJqBUa4Qz-yxqWM7KPdbEn

(Image from Canal Plan https://canalplan.org.uk/photo/dp_06i)

@HuggableHamster had prepared a lovely dinner for us that was ready as soon as we’d finished banging the pins in to secure William for the night.

Later this evening we plan to head down to the Jolly Collier, which we passed only a short distance back while we were in 1883 - maybe see some other crews there?

EN2nLbqxPOOqGXO7pqYidTgZ0SH5uN2D_tmva_HQChyndkoJXJD_olaofW3AJEs1fwfpwAg_LbZFQvNQpNofZOlcjUL_1VLQRpw8nsGpTTZrmV5onWWAZPUwpJUWRCOgW6zIuh90

Minion's Log (supplemental)

Wrap up nice and warm they said. It's snowing outside they said. So I dug out all my nice warm waterproof stuff and my best knitwear, all ready to go outside. Yes, I wanna build a snowman.

Well having been cooped up inside all day doing work (one of us needs to earn an honest living), getting all excited and having a bit of a mission to get up the ladder in all of this clobber, what do I find?! Sunshine! Loads of it. And not a trace of snow. Apparently no one decided to tell me the weather had changed. Harumph.

20200504_193337.jpg

• Greenie 2

Log time: 10:15, Friday 16th May 1975

The crew enjoyed themselves at the Jolly Collier last night, but after a nice cooked breakfast we’re all set for the day ahead.

Time to get the Bolinder up and running, we’re aiming for a 10:30 departure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H39drBmwxL8

We're looking forward to a good few hours of level cruising before the first lock of the day.

For most of today’s updates I’ll leave you in @HuggableHamster's capable hands, as I’ve been seconded to the Wyrley & Ogley Restoration Krew.

Minion's Log (supplemental)

In an attempt to avoid a repeat of yesterday's... communication mishaps, I've been getting to know William's galley a bit better. I've made us all some nice carrot cake baked oatmeal for snacks. It is a traditional part of our BCN Challenge after all!

Here's hoping it works...

If you'd like to try making your own, the recipe's here: https://www.budgetbytes.com/carrot-cake-baked-oatmeal/

20200505_111246.jpg

Edited by smudgepuss
Add photo
  • Love 1
  • Happy 1

Log time: 11:00, Tuesday 4th May 1830

Log time: 11:00, Tuesday 4th May 1830

Having set off at 10.30 as planned we made good progress down this short lived arm and  arrived at the wharf where coal was being loaded onto boats from the Newlands collieries.  The cut was full of boats, but we managed to slip through without arousing suspicion... or accidentally getting coal thrown into the sleeping area! 

William Gilpin, after whom the branch is named, owned several collieries and ironworks around this area - I suspect we may see another of his wharfs on a future day.  Though this particular branch would be largely derelict in a decade.

04Ug8yQ97lHxAkKL-1xhQl7lbcG6Z7DIdRMvkv53zXkuvIvwsiSQMpEl3OysoVA7Vwowe9DU46RXhr_SZu9tLvfkRIYaalhzEARIjuME9SstkKz23dz5PVdDQ1Ln4QrjiltTT0fJ

We were surprised to see women and children working in the mines, until we remembered it wasn’t banned until the act of August 1842, and of course the women and children were much cheaper to employ.  One of these youngsters showed us the Davy lamp he had, an invention of some 15 years prior that had helped reduce deaths from gas explosions below ground.  We snapped the above picture surreptitiously lest he wonder what the strange box was.

GPS is up and working again - 

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=14DTZ6L-V-Dc2k2KlIsBdrtdTW5R36awN&ll=52.6607816408192%2C-1.877459941629013&z=14

Edited by HuggableHamster
GPS link fix... I hope