Leaky calorifier

Featured Posts

Where is it leaking?

I recently had to replace a domestic HW tank which had pinhole leaks. Apparently since 2000 the standard has required thicker metal. Certainly with this one there was no alternative that to replace it.

Maybe with yours the copper has just got a bit too thin.

I would get shut pronto before it leaks worse and you end up with 20 gallons of water under your floor boards. My experience with (the older and thicker type) domestic tanks is that they don't repair very well.

Edited by nb maggie

yeah, if its seam, how old it the tank? it might be bad seam, in which case get is fixed, but as stu says, it might be time to think about an new tank.

- or if your a bit short, get it soldered up and even if its old it will proberble last another season or two.

The problem I have had with soldering is that the heat can weaken the whole seam, if its a soldered one.

Yeah, you have to use very low temp soilder.

- when solidering a tank you usally make the first seam with high temp soilder, and the use progressivly low temp solder on the neighbouring seams, thus you dont melt the previous seam.

Daniel