Ashby canal

OGGDOG

Featured Posts

We did it summer 2005. Our draft was 29 inches and although it was slow (which doesn't matter) we got to the end OK. Incidentally, it was the week of the Shakerstone boat gathering where many 'vintage' boats get together and I'm sure they would have been deeper in the water than us, including one heavily laden coal supply barge.

Unless there is a particular problem with water supply, I wouldn't have thought there would be a probem.

It is also a very pleasant run

Jo

Can be shallow in places when needing to get off the centre to pass another boat, particularly in the Shenton area. Just go steady and you should be fine. If you enjoy rural, you won't get much more rural than this canal! Vist the Battlefield - very interesting. We used the offside moorings King Richard's field.

Tony

I am thinking of cruising up the Asby in 3 weeks and have read that it can be quite dodgy due to shallow water.

Is this really a problem and should i stay away from the Ashby?

I've just returned (today) from 8 very enjoyable days up the Ashby -- great weather helped. No problems at all except slightly grazed the bottom once when passing a boat didn't slow at all. It is a bit narrow in places but it was generally very quiet last week and I managed to find good moorings at all my target stops. Agree with Tony about the battlefield mooring -- great location. Good meal in the pub at Shackerstone, but the pub at the end of the canal (The Globe?) appears not to want any custom during the day :mellow:

Hope you enjoy it.

Mike

but the pub at the end of the canal (The Globe?) appears not to want any custom during the day :mellow:

Yep, we found the same at the Globe, ended up going back to the boat and making sandwhiches!!

• 4 weeks later...

Hiya

Hubby and I did the full length of the Ashby in April as our maiden voyage! It was wonderful.If we can do it anyone can! Also met Ian (the coal/diesel man) along the way and as long as you try to keep to the bank as much as poss to let him by with his heavier boat, all should be fine. Lovely area and plenty of moorings. Shops alittle bit of a stroll away from moorings but good excuse for a walk and wxplore.

I am thinking of cruising up the Asby in 3 weeks and have read that it can be quite dodgy due to shallow water.

Is this really a problem and should i stay away from the Ashby?

Cruised it a couple of times on our travels and have had no problems what so ever.. other than the usual scrape which you get on a lot of the cuts.

Like others said.. as long as you go slow and are careful (eg. don't go full whack around the blind bends).. you will be fine.

We were followed by a CanalTime boat last time we did it.. heading back off the Ashby... and they were going so fast they didn't see that the canal had a bend... and through a bridge.... they carried on straight.. and before the had a clue what was happening.. bounced back off the side of the canal..... how they managed to not see the bend or the bridge... i will never know.