securing calorifiers

Alastair

Featured Posts

How do you secure a vertical calorifier? All the pics and diagrams seem to show either horizontal ones on a shelf (retained by straps), or vertical held by a couple of metal straps. I'm installing a 77l calorifier, and wouldn't trust a couple of straps to hold it.

How do you secure a vertical calorifier? All the pics and diagrams seem to show either horizontal ones on a shelf (retained by straps), or vertical held by a couple of metal straps. I'm installing a 77l calorifier, and wouldn't trust a couple of straps to hold it.

Why not?

Depends upon the strap material and how well it is secured.

If you can drill and tap (say) the rear bulkhead and a hull brace then screw setscrews through the hole from the back with loctite you could then use a very stout metal strap. I would build up a sandwich of scrap wood, cut a calorifier sized circle out of it, and screw it to the floor to locate the bottom.

I see your picture is a grp job. In that case I would fit the setscrews through some long plywood pads and glass them to the inside of the hull. Then fit the strap.

If you are worried about damaging the "tank", use a wider strap to spread the load.

Tony Brooks

PS

I would not use the "packing tape" thing supplied with many calorifiers.

Why not?

Depends upon the strap material and how well it is secured.

If you can drill and tap (say) the rear bulkhead and a hull brace then screw setscrews through the hole from the back with loctite you could then use a very stout metal strap. I would build up a sandwich of scrap wood, cut a calorifier sized circle out of it, and screw it to the floor to locate the bottom.

I see your picture is a grp job. In that case I would fit the setscrews through some long plywood pads and glass them to the inside of the hull. Then fit the strap.

If you are worried about damaging the "tank", use a wider strap to spread the load.

Tony Brooks

PS

I would not use the "packing tape" thing supplied with many calorifiers.

Thanks, tony

The boat in the avatar is steel, btw, and not the boat I'm installing the calorifier on. The calorifier is going on a 20m sailing barge.

The calorifier I'm buying has a 'dome' end, so sitting it on the floor would put most of the weight on one small area. That would seem to be a recipe for problems. so the supports need to hold the calorifier up as well as restrain it.

Brilliant!

btw, I notice that your shops sells surejust calorifiers; the shops says they are twin coil, the photos/illustrations are single-coil. Are the prices for single or twin?

They are offered in both single and twin and can also be made to order in different format extra high efficiency etc.

The prices are correct we must only have pictures of the single.

We use Surejust they are the best without spending very silly money.

Thanks, tony

The boat in the avatar is steel, btw, and not the boat I'm installing the calorifier on. The calorifier is going on a 20m sailing barge.

The calorifier I'm buying has a 'dome' end, so sitting it on the floor would put most of the weight on one small area. That would seem to be a recipe for problems. so the supports need to hold the calorifier up as well as restrain it.

Are you absolutely sure this is a vertical one?

Is it new? if not I suspect it has been over-pressured and the normally concave end has belled out.

Go back to the idea of laminating up scrap wood, but cut an increasing diameter hole in each piece to match the dome. You could use a thin strip of ply around the tapered hole to spread the load or rasp it to shape.

Tony Brooks

Tony, I'm judging by photos on the net. Albion, surejust, etc all seem to have rounded ends. Webasto don't have rounded ends to the casings.

Thanks for the info, Gary. I just have to add up the costs - Surejust might work out cheaper anyway, by the time the PVR, thermostatic valve, filling connections etc are added in.

My vertical cal has a flat bottom - why would they make a vertical unit that would always fall over with a rounded bottom??

just becoz .................... :smiley_offtopic:

my vertical cal is set inside the corner kitchen unit. A circular hole is cut out in the top of the base cabinet to match the cal so it is laterally retained at about 70% height.

just becoz .................... :smiley_offtopic:

my vertical cal is set inside the corner kitchen unit. A circular hole is cut out in the top of the base cabinet to match the cal so it is laterally retained at about 70% height.

We have virtually the same set up in a bathroom cupboard, there are so many pipes around it that I doubt it would move any way, ours has a flat bottom...wish the same could be said of me :)

I've opted for a Surejust calorifier Surejust website, bought from Gary (canalboatbits). Good price and a truly excellent product. Looks a little dear compared to the budget calorifiers, but comes with PRV, all connections, immersion heater and fastening straps. These are impressively broad stainless straps.

Gary/Ledgard boats were very quick to get this ordered for me.