Eberspacher anti-freeze question

DannyC

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I understand that only the blue anti-freeze should be used in an Eberspacher. I need to top mine up and it appears to have the pink liquid in it - the previous owner must have used pink.

I have some universal ethylene glycol based anti-freeze. Do you think it will be ok to top up using this?

Thanks 

9 minutes ago, DannyC said:

Hi all,

I understand that only the blue anti-freeze should be used in an Eberspacher. I need to top mine up and it appears to have the pink liquid in it - the previous owner must have used pink.

I have some universal ethylene glycol based anti-freeze. Do you think it will be ok to top up using this?

Thanks 

Can't you siphon some pink antifreeze out of the header tank, putting a jar and add the universal antifreeze, to see if there is any adverse reaction?

If there isn't,  than you can add the universal antifreeze to the system, if there is then buy some pink antifreeze, check for compatibility, as above, and if OK add that.

Edited by cuthound
Missing worm
  • Greenie 1

Check that the antifreeze is compatible with aluminium.

Back in the day when motor manufacturers started using aluminium for things like cylinder heads there were corrosion issues with the type of antifreeze then used, new formulations were soon introduced and vehicle manufacturers were wont to specify the type to use.

Eberspacher have some light alloy parts, I say light alloy because I suspect there is a good deal of Zinc in the mix and that is likely to be bad news corrosion wise.

I would be inclined to first find a car maker that utilizes alloy engines and see what they specify. You should then be able to use the same stuff with some confidence.